Community discussions

MikroTik App

imbehind
just joined
Topic Author

How to set up home network with RB433AH and RB411AR

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 am

Hi all,

I'm a beginner with Mikrotik despite using it for 13 years now, almost exclusively. :) The gear is so robust and versatile that usually when I manage to set it up, I tend to forget about it. And as you probably know, if you do not use Mikrotik often, it is easy to forget how, so I'm kindly asking for your help. ;)

Currently I'm using RB951Ui-2HnD as my primary router for home networking and wireless with additional RB450 set up as a switch. Also I have TP-Link TL-WA855RE Range Extender for better signal around bedrooms and kitchen. However, a few days ago I started experimenting with home automation, and while TL-WA855RE is working OK regarding the bandwidth I just need more control and flexibility in that part of my apartment to achieve what I want. Also, TP-Link thingy is not as reliable as Mikrotik and for home automation reliability is a must.

So, I remembered I have some Mikrotik gear stored somewhere in the boxes. After a little bit of digging I found three brand new 411AR, one 433 and one 433AH Routerboard. Also, I've found a few mPCI cards, namely 1x R52Hn, 1xR52 and 1xCM9-GP, bunch of omni antennas, pigtails and housings. Bingo! :)

I assembled two of them, upgraded to 6.46.5 and tested (All OK) so now I have the following:

1) 1x RB433AH with R52Hn AND R52
2) 1x RB411AR with additional CM9-GP (RB411AR comes with integrated 802.11b/g wireless card)

At first I tried "Setup repeater" button from WiFi Interfaces tab in my Winbox using RB951Ui-2HnD and RB411AR but the measured speed using that setup was extremely slow. Now the idea is to use wlan1's on each device to connect the living room and the bedrooms PTP style, and wlan2's for AP purpose, all on the same wireless network under the same SSID.

I'm sure something can be done, but I'm too old now and have a family to feed so experimenting by myself for days, like I used to 15 years ago, until I manage to do it by myself is something I would like to avoid if possible. Especially since I already put in more time than I have in Home Automation and even that only because of Covid-19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! <3

PS: Just before I posted this I assembled the 433AH and connected it to 411AR as "PTP Bridge AP / CPE" pair from Quick Set just to see how the link will behave. The 411AR is in the kitchen and the 433AH is in the living room, and the reported speed is 54/1 Mbps. 433AH is using R52AH and the 411AR is using the onboard radio, both wlan1 (as wlan2 cannot be selected within the Quick Set).