Community discussions

MikroTik App

Baner556
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik AC Access Point cap ac

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:13 am

Hi everybody,

after research a lot I decided to buy three RBcAPGi-5acD2nD and get rid of my tp link deco p7. For some reasons I didn’t want to buy the fritz repeater 3000 nor the unifi Modells because I liked the Mikrotiks.

After playing around on the weekend with different types of setups I am somehow sad.

Out of the box I connect the box with my cable modem. The connection speed with my iPhone X to the internet is only around 50mbit (tp link deco p7 next to the mikrotik has 150mbit).

Do you guys have any idea how to boost my connection?

Thanks

jcbhltz909

Re: Mikrotik AC Access Point cap ac

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Please post config

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Do you guys have any idea how to boost my connection?
Been there, done that, honestly - sell/dump Mikrotik and buy some other brand product.

xiaotuzi
just joined

Fri May 15, 2020 9:37 pm

It would help if you post config.
I get around 300 mbit /s on my cap ac

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 pm

It would help if you post config.
I get around 300 mbit /s on my cap ac
Post Your config, I get 10% of Your speed.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2020 10:00 pm

All depends on the concept choosen and how you did setup the network, and what configs you used.
As others said. There is a need for more information to be able to help.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 4:33 am

Concur, most people get it wrong, this is not plugNplay you have to set it up properly.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 am

Concur, most people get it wrong, this is not plugNplay you have to set it up properly.
As I have said, the whole Mikrotik logic is wrong. It should perform at least 90% with default config and the rest 10% is tunable.

But actually it performs max 30% with default config and with long and hard tuning max 10% more, that's it.

I hope that Latvian consumer protection board will add asap warning that Mikrotik products does not perform like said in specs.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 am

@ksuuk, it is obvious that you are disappointed in MikroTik. And I agree on some points. But, my experience and expectations differs from yours a lot: getting a decent 450Mbps through iperf on my Dell laptop (from a cAP AC). Besides, it outperforms UBNT on stability...a lot (have been using UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-IW, UAP-AC-IW-Pro and UAP-AC-M in all kind of combinations). Perhaps my demands differs from yours.

It surprises me to see that you are expecting default settings to perform on prosumer devices. Especially on WiFi, which is subject to all kinds of interference. Hope you find a different model or brand that suits yours!

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 11:19 am

@ksuuk, it is obvious that you are disappointed in MikroTik. And I agree on some points. But, my experience and expectations differs from yours a lot: getting a decent 450Mbps through iperf on my Dell laptop (from a cAP AC). Besides, it outperforms UBNT on stability...a lot (have been using UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-IW, UAP-AC-IW-Pro and UAP-AC-M in all kind of combinations). Perhaps my demands differs from yours.
I'm wondering are these success stories false or why in this forum and also other forums contain more problems than praises? Also almost all problematic threads have are not solved, which indicates that the problems are permanent. And support is quiet. Why a manufacturer allows such situation?

Mikrotik device is like lottery, some get a working device (or they are embarrassed to admit that they were made a mistake), others loose big time.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 11:33 am

I have spend a lot of time on the UBNT forum, mostly helping others. I think that forums in common are the best resource for solving problems. Especially because you get support from a community. And not only the community, there are some MikroTik employees giving good information as well. I believe that MikroTik users are more of a lottery than their devices ;-)

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 11:59 am

I have spend a lot of time on the UBNT forum, mostly helping others. I think that forums in common are the best resource for solving problems. Especially because you get support from a community. And not only the community, there are some MikroTik employees giving good information as well. I believe that MikroTik users are more of a lottery than their devices ;-)
Pure statistics:
Google search UNIFI slow wifi, gives about 270,000 results
Google search mikrotik slow wifi, gives about 410,000 results

https://community.ui.com, search slow wifi, find 158 matches
https://forum.mikrotik.com, search slow wifi, find 840 matches

And the Oscar goes to...

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Pure statistics:
Google search UNIFI slow wifi, gives about 270,000 results
Google search mikrotik slow wifi, gives about 410,000 results

https://community.ui.com, search slow wifi, find 158 matches
https://forum.mikrotik.com, search slow wifi, find 840 matches

And the Oscar goes to...
It's not relevant. Mikrotik cost less for similar hardware.... More people buy cheaper devices for self-made network and then have problem to configure a professional device.

You don't follow the advise of the others users to improve your configuration and we all see you have a lot of time to complain and not to study a solution. I live in backcountry with far neighbors and still have some interference on wifi. Sometimes in summer i see the wifi network ssid of a pub at 400 meters from my house. And there is interference of different types too. You have to find and workaround them.

I have near to maximum standard performance with 6 Mikrotik AP through CAPsMAN with similar and older hardware than yours (1 Hap AC2 and 5 wAP AC) with standard configuration on more than 20 clients (Android, Ios, Windows, OS X). Almost all problems come from the clients (software, driver, ecc ecc) and not from Mikrotik hardware with recent firmware.

Usually i stay with long-term branch firmware for stability and very few bug.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm

It's not relevant. Mikrotik cost less for similar hardware.... More people buy cheaper devices for self-made network and then have problem to configure a professional device.
Almost any Chinese device cost less then Mikrotik and performs better.
You don't follow the advise of the others users to improve your configuration and we all see you have a lot of time to complain and not to study a solution.
False, I have tested every suggestion and posted also my latest config. And it's not about me, like I said, there are a lot other users, with similar issues. Based Your statement, we all, who have problems, are stupid users?
I have near to maximum standard performance with 6 Mikrotik AP through CAPsMAN with similar and older hardware than yours (1 Hap AC2 and 5 wAP AC) with standard configuration on more than 20 clients (Android, Ios, Windows, OS X). Almost all problems come from the clients (software, driver, ecc ecc) and not from Mikrotik hardware with recent firmware.
I don't get, You are using standard configuration (which, based this forum, is a wrong/bad way) and then You are claiming, that I must improve my config?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm wondering are these success stories false or why in this forum and also other forums contain more problems than praises?
You do understand that happy users do not generally spend their time writing to forums how satisfied they are, don't you? They just use their devices. Unhappy ones come here asking for an advise. Success stories mostly come from a few active enthusiast who are here to also help others. Of course problems will always greatly outweigh the success stories on any kind of real/live forum.

Also almost all problematic threads have are not solved, which indicates that the problems are permanent.
We never know all the details. Not all users will respond back once their problem is solved. Some are simply not willing to solve the problem and are just complaining. Also there may be problems with specific (faulty) units and those just needs to be RMAed, if possible, and so just cannot be solved by configuration changes. Some problems cannot really be fixed because they are caused be external factors (like interference). The list can be continued...

And support is quiet. Why a manufacturer allows such situation?
Have I said you this is a community forum? Have you written to support@ yet? Ah, yes, you said you don't see the point in writing to support@. Just because...

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Almost any Chinese device cost less then Mikrotik and performs better.
Please, please, please, go buy one and stop complaining here! It is cheaper and works better for you, so what's the point in doing what you are doing?

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Please, please, please, go buy one and stop complaining here! It is cheaper and works better for you, so what's the point in doing what you are doing?
Please, please, please, stop defending Mikrotik! If it works for you, so what's the point of mocking them, who have problems?

Instead, use Your influence and tell Mikrotik, that they must fix their attitude and products. I also sugest them to add warning sticker to every Mikrotik product, like cigarettes have "caution: using Mikrotik products may be hazardous to Your mental health". :)

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 1:20 pm

A sportscar requires better driving skills. How I know...? Never seen a sticker on those as well :wink:

In the end...it all comes down to fulfilling requirements. And mine are fulfilled by MikroTik (though Unifi was giving me higher speeds).

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm

after research a lot I decided to buy three RBcAPGi-5acD2nD and get rid of my tp link deco p7. For some reasons I didn’t want to buy the fritz repeater 3000 nor the unifi Modells because I liked the Mikrotiks.

After playing around on the weekend with different types of setups I am somehow sad.
My suggestion is that you post your config and then @bpwl will provide you with his excellent tuning guidance that will help to make you less sad.

I respect MikroTik Routers .... excellent product .... MikroTik wireless is not to my liking because most of the wireless device require far to much work to get the performance one hopes to have plus somewhat its behind the times. There are some exception for me like the wireless wire that does an excellent job.

For wireless I much prefer the Ubiquiti product line especially the nanoHD, the UAP-AC Pro, the UAP AC Lite -- all depending on what needs to be achieved. Ubiquiti wireless can also be fine tuned to a great extent -- however -- Ubiquiti now have an AI engine that does that tuning work for you to get the best performance especially when more than one AP is involved in the venue. With Ubiquiti one must use a Controller and I suggest the UC-CK model that does an excellent job.

Very sorry that you are sad but EXPERIENCE is the very best teacher ..... Good Luck

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Please, please, please, stop defending Mikrotik! If it works for you, so what's the point of mocking them, who have problems?
Oh, please, be a man! You bought ONLY ONE product, you have a problem with unknown root cause yet with it, you've got many suggestion of how to exclude some of them and now you are running some childish revenge shtstorm in every possible topic here? Come on. As I showed to you already in your own topic with pictures and configuration: same hardware, same software, same conditions, old and new client devices, everything runs smoothly: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=160252&p=792071#p792071

WiFi is a connection over radio and depends very much on physics and devices communicating with each other. If you have a better chemistry with Huawei, then it's OK, but why to do it? MT won't come to your house, run a spectral scan and point out some broken appliance that created radio noise that ruined your 2.4GHz WiFi speed.

Before making ANY MORE POSTS and look even more childish, please take your cAP AC to any other physical location and run the tests again to exclude anomalies in your house. After that reset with no configuration, connect using winbox64.exe and MAC-address, apply the configuration I posted to you. And run the tests again in another location. And post a) full configuration (/export hide-sensitive file=flash/yourconf) and pictures of Registration tab of your devices.

There are so many ways to fsck up your Wifi configurations (double NATing, double DHCP, radio anomalies etc), so please hold your horses.
Last edited by kalamaja on Sat May 16, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Oh, please, be a man! You bought ONLY ONE product, you have a problem with unknown root cause yet with it, you've got many suggestion of how to exclude some of them and now you are running some childish revenge shtstorm in every possible topic here?
This post is a good example, when sender have not read my posts at all. So again, I have brought and used about dozen Mikrotik devices in past 7 years. If Your setup works, and mine (similar) doesn't, then what the hack are You blame me for? And seems You missed or don't know, that Cap AC chipset does NOT support spectral scan. Maybe Yours does, or You just don't actually own the Cap AC. And if in my clean environment, without ANY influencers (I did shut down the power from the whole house, leaving only Cap AC and 4G router and still no speed/no coverage), Mikrotik fails to perform, them I can't imagine how it can work at all.

I have no time or interest dog this dead horse (my Cap AC) at the moment, but I'll keep monitoring this forum, as maybe some posts their helpful findings, maybe Mikrtoik fix the software etc.

And again, someone must start telling the painful truth about Mikrotik wifi issues and warn others. Your fannboy attitude proves, that I'm on the right track. I guess sooner or later some fannboy will kick me out of this forum, but again, this proves, that I'm on the right track, telling the painful truth.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 pm

And again, someone must start telling the painful truth about Mikrotik wifi issues and warn others. Your fannboy attitude proves, that I'm on the right track. I guess sooner or later some fannboy will kick me out of this forum, but again, this proves, that I'm on the right track, telling the painful truth.
Please feel free to share your experiences, just don't act like the hardware is a failure. It is not. There are more than enough users having decent speeds. You might want to consider returning your cAP AC as DOA and have it replaced by a new one.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I have no time or interest dog this dead horse (my Cap AC) at the moment, but I'll keep monitoring this forum, as maybe some posts their helpful findings
Yes, just keep monitoring. Your other message (now removed) has been reported as a personal assault, and I find that report legitimate. So now you are banned for 1 week.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I was incredibly excited when caps-man first came out. I spent months tweaking and coming up with some really neat stuff. Mimicking features found in wireless systems costing 10-20 times more.

But... I was wasting a TREMENDOUS amount of time on some pretty bad radios. You can tweak Mikrotik wireless to death... and it will still get clobbered by a Ruckus WAP. Now that is in a standard environment. In a high noise environment... Mikrotik radios go from Flakey to Unusable. It took support months to finally COP to it. But they finally came clean about it. I RESPECT THE HELL OUT OF THEM FOR IT TOO!

I stopped right there and put a full explanation to any job that has Mikrotik wireless in the bid as a "CAN WE USE THIS TO SAVE MONEY?"
Hard fast NO if:
1. They expect to see speeds higher than maybe 300 on speedtests.
2. They are "in the city" or near a lot of other radios.
3. They actually depend on the radios. (Point of sales or similar)

OK if:
1. They set the client expectations that "The wireless will not be the primary connection for ANYTHING IMPORTANT."
2. They are in the middle of no where and have LITTLE TO NO CHANCE of neighboring access points or wireless interference.
3. They have internet speeds BELOW 100M

I say it all the time... I LOVE MIKROTIK for routing. Anything else... I am picking another vendor.

I liken it to Audio Video Gear.
Sony makes awesome OLED TVs. But their speakers are GARBAGE.
A brand like Anthem is well respected for Receivers and PRE-Amplification... but they don't even make a video device.

Use the best products from manufactures that do something well. Doing it "All Mikrotik" has not worked out well.
Switches that lock up until rebooted
Wireless that requires way too much screwing with and constant service tickets.

But routers... before that whole 2018 debacle... I had routers with Uptimes measured in years. And no tickets from those sites. But the one thing they all have in common... MIKROTIK ROUTING ONLY.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

I was incredibly excited when caps-man first came out. I spent months tweaking and coming up with some really neat stuff. Mimicking features found in wireless systems costing 10-20 times more.

But... I was wasting a TREMENDOUS amount of time on some pretty bad radios. You can tweak Mikrotik wireless to death... and it will still get clobbered by a Ruckus WAP. Now that is in a standard environment. In a high noise environment... Mikrotik radios go from Flakey to Unusable. It took support months to finally COP to it. But they finally came clean about it. I RESPECT THE HELL OUT OF THEM FOR IT TOO!

I stopped right there and put a full explanation to any job that has Mikrotik wireless in the bid as a "CAN WE USE THIS TO SAVE MONEY?"
Hard fast NO if:
1. They expect to see speeds higher than maybe 300 on speedtests.
2. They are "in the city" or near a lot of other radios.
3. They actually depend on the radios. (Point of sales or similar)

OK if:
1. They set the client expectations that "The wireless will not be the primary connection for ANYTHING IMPORTANT."
2. They are in the middle of no where and have LITTLE TO NO CHANCE of neighboring access points or wireless interference.
3. They have internet speeds BELOW 100M

I say it all the time... I LOVE MIKROTIK for routing. Anything else... I am picking another vendor.

I liken it to Audio Video Gear.
Sony makes awesome OLED TVs. But their speakers are GARBAGE.
A brand like Anthem is well respected for Receivers and PRE-Amplification... but they don't even make a video device.

Use the best products from manufactures that do something well. Doing it "All Mikrotik" has not worked out well.
Switches that lock up until rebooted
Wireless that requires way too much screwing with and constant service tickets.

But routers... before that whole 2018 debacle... I had routers with Uptimes measured in years. And no tickets from those sites. But the one thing they all have in common... MIKROTIK ROUTING ONLY.
Agreed, I'm so regret now and many of my customers come back to me ask for better tuning of wifi, got no ideal how to explain to them as I promised so much to make them switch to "enterprise gear"........... As for routing, MT needs to figure out IPv6 offloading asap, my hAP ac2 can max out my ISP's 800mbps/200mbps without a sweat but have a hard time when IPv6 is on, only sub 400mbps with 100% CPU usage, I've switched to ER-X for temporary use and it can max out my ISP speed with IPv6 on, but I miss MT's winbox so much, don't really feel good with edgerouter interface and CLI, hopefully one day they release a firmware with IPv6 offload of fastpath.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Well stated erlinden!!

As for my experience, two capacs working just fine in the house. What I like about them is they are tunable.
What is not tunable are off the shelf smart devices which use high power luckily only 2ghz and drown everything out.
Every situation is different. MK is more about value than the bleeding edge products so the latest and greatest is usually somewhere else (which is why their 60ghz stuff blew some conceptions right out the window). I dont think anyone is saying their wifi is the greatest but its reasonable. If you want top notch wifi ubiquiti, ruckass you will pay for it.... Sometimes as noted depending upon the environment its worth it to pay the extra.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Once again... The cost savings are not equal to the drop in performance.

Also as stated in another post... I picked up a Ruckus R610 for $270 US. It absolutely beats the Audience that sat in the same spot for several months. Throughput. Number of clients. Connectivity. It's just not close.

techlord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Oh boy....once in a while someone comes to complain about the Mikrotik Wireless component. By far, people are complaining the most about throughput. And they are partially right. No matter what I do, what I configure, I can't get pass 200-220 Mbps with the CAP ACs I own. Before Mikrotik I owned lots of TP LINKS (routers, APs). Here is my view:

1. Overall throughput is less of what you would expect but if you don't get at least 150-200 Mbps from CAP ACs, you are doing something wrong in the config or your terminal has an issue. 200 Mbps is not stellar but it is good enough for any normal home usage. You will get more from a cheap tplink router but you will lose:
2. Incredible stability - once you have everything set, everything works without needs to reboot
3. Rich features - you can basically do BGP, OSPG, IPSEC, VPNS,VLANs and so much more with 50 bucks. try to do any of that with tplink
4. Monthly updates and bug fixes, additional features and so on
5. Easy wifi setup of multiple APs with capsman

So yes, it does make sense for most of us to buy Mikrotik. You just have to be aware of what you are buying.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Tech Lord...

Point 2 about stability... With Tik Radios...

In noisy environments radios will just stop accepting clients and will continue doing this until rebooted. Then devices can connect for some amount of time again. Until its time to reboot again. My work around was to keep a printer on the same radio and netwatch it. When it dropped off... reboot the WAP. What would happen is the customer's remote control is on 2.4 wifi. When the Tik 2.4 radio "flakes" client devices can still use 5Gig. But this remote only has 2.4. SO it would be dead until someone logged in and power cycled the Access Point. This trick works day in and day out.

Unfortunately.... we sold a bunch of Tik Radios that exhibit the exact same problem. Support took months and a bunch of emails... but they did finally agree it was how the radio deals with interference. They also posted it in the thread on the forum. And we had to implement this exact fix or very similar across 20 installs.

We are now offering to replace these radios at DEAD HARDWARE COST. So, we go out and install and configure the replacement radio AT A LOSS. Just to salvage the relationship with the customer.

We didn't come to that decision easily. But after the replacements... the complaints stopped.

techlord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 am

Gotsprings, in very particular cases we will see issues with all vendors. People are buying Tiks and thinking they will get cheap Ciscos or Arubas. They will not, especially discussing Wifi. As people say here, MK is great for routing, mediocre for WIFI. But I prefer to have everything from the same vendor than mixing ( like MK + UBIQ) and learning the quirks of multiple vendors.
We would all like enterprise grade hardware at SOHO prices but that is not possible.
Just curious, which MK AP had issues and what did you replace it with?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Gotsprings, in very particular cases we will see issues with all vendors. People are buying Tiks and thinking they will get cheap Ciscos or Arubas. They will not, especially discussing Wifi. As people say here, MK is great for routing, mediocre for WIFI. But I prefer to have everything from the same vendor than mixing ( like MK + UBIQ) and learning the quirks of multiple vendors.
We would all like enterprise grade hardware at SOHO prices but that is not possible.
Just curious, which MK AP had issues and what did you replace it with?
This behavior with the 2.4 radios was observed with wAP AC, cAP AC, and even the hAP AC2.

The most obvious one was a job where we tried to use 2 cAP ACs in a 2 ND floor unit along main street.

Every weekend... The 2.4 stopped accepting clients and would require multiple reboots thought the weekend. Finally went down there and looked. They had street vendors every weekend. So every weekend the amount of 2.4 radios tripped. This would cause the Mikrotik WAPs to "just give up".

Paid the money out of my own pocket and threw away both cAP AC2s. Replaced with a Ruckus R510 and waited for the weekend. Weekend came and went. Week of use... Nothing. Next weekend was a beautiful weekend and the local news reported "the biggest turn out in years." Never had a problem again.

Other installs were just typical US residential... These problems would come up "just whenever". Power cycle the cAP or wAP using the switch. Or use scripting to disable the radio and bring it back. Lots and lots of bitching. I mean it's bad enough we had to preface with... "These radios are hardware limited to slower speeds... But they are very solid and configurable." (Shoved the foot in our mouths right after stepping in dog $#!+)

Once again... Bit bullet and picked up Ruckus R510s for ~$240 each. No more complaints. No more logging in on the weekend to power cycle ports.

Personally... I am sick of apologizing for the performance of the radios. These radios were tested with networks that were sub 200M and had dual band clients. We knew they were just not capable of hitting numbers in 400-500 ranges customers with faster connections DEMANDED. So we set a hard fast rule... if they have an internet connection better than 150... NO MIKROTIK WIRELESS!!! But we never saw the problem with the 2.4 only remotes... Because that is sold by a partner company.

I will grant that the Mikrotik radios have benefited from SEVERAL YEARS OF FIRMWARE UPDATES. Increasing speeds from absolute garbage to more acceptable. This let us use them up to the 250M ISP. But we then had to start looking for devices with 2.4 only radios like:
Generators
Pool controllers
Irrigation
Solar controllers
Etc

It's just too much wasted time.

As I put it... My Ruckus Wireless Networks: driven by Ubnt EdgeSwitches from Mikrotik routing, ARE SOLUTIONS!

My Mikrotik wireless networks turn into an unpaid hobby, that tend to piss off customers.

techlord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 21, 2020 11:11 am

So your main point is a 240$ AP from Rukus is better than a 50$ AP from MK?
My point is maybe you were trying to use the MK in a setup they were never meant to support ( heavy noise, lots of clients) ? Because I have 3 CAP ACs at home with capsman and around 30 Wifi Clients and I have yet to see an issue. Roaming works fine, speed is ok, everything stable for 9 months now. I don't understand why you are seeing issues with residential deployments.

Rukus is a dedicated AP, CAP AC is a generic MK network device that can be an AP, a router, firewall, VPN device. Bottom line is the MKs were meant to fit many many scenarios but they will not compete with dedicated hardware (especially on Wifi).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am

My point is maybe you were trying to use the MK in a setup they were never meant to support ( heavy noise, lots of clients) ? Because I have 3 CAP ACs at home with capsman and around 30 Wifi Clients and I have yet to see an issue. Roaming works fine, speed is ok, everything stable for 9 months now. I don't understand why you are seeing issues with residential deployments.

Rukus is a dedicated AP, CAP AC is a generic MK network device that can be an AP, a router, firewall, VPN device. Bottom line is the MKs were meant to fit many many scenarios but they will not compete with dedicated hardware (especially on Wifi).
Just don't get it. All that experience, and one puts a hAp ac2 in the middle of an overcrowded environment? Vendors on the street triple the number of 2.4GHz AP's? Clients is not the problem. Many AP's and SSID's overload the wifi spectrum (SSID overhead calculator). Too many AP/SSID and non MKT APs start to log "busy network", "stuck beacon", and even one brand "bb_radar alert" (in 2.4 GHz ???, a known not fixed AR9300 chip bug). Had to replace an old Ruckus, Draytek and Engenius with hAP ac2, while doing strategic placements. Know your antenna characteristic, and in this case thick walls are your friends.

Prices are rising somewhat the last 6 months, but the difference between R510 and hAPac2 has always been much bigger than stated here ...for my vendors at least.
I get 12 times a hAP ac2 for one R510.
Klembord-2.jpg

EDIT: further checked to get the R510 at the low amazon.com prices in Europe (-$400 indeed for some of the sales lines. list prices on other lines)
But choosing amazon.com instead of amazon.de (europe) adds €80 import duties for this device. Amazon.de is not even selling R510.
And a bit reluctant to get a "US" model if that differentiation exists with a"international" version.
No single glitch with hAP,cAP and wAp devices in one year in 8 residential installations, so a different story here. No real need for a better AP given the residential requirements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bpwl on Thu May 21, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 4:14 pm

Techlord

Funny how that works...

When I kick the hell out of a Cisco ASA with a hAPAC2...

It's ra ra ra!

When Mikrotik wireless get bludgeoned... "You can't compare that!"

Can't have it both ways. And it goes back to my statement about... I use the best tool for the job.

And companies we contract for have seen what I can do with caps-man and always wanna know "Could that control good radios?"
I would pay more for a Mikrotik radio if I could treat them like I do my other vendors... I have a long standing threat with my Ruckus Rep "THE DAY SOMEONE ELSE BEATS YOUR HARDWARE CONSISTENTLY, FOR CLOSE TO THE SAME MONEY... THAT'S IT!"
Its been nearly a decade and I keep having to go back to them.
Last edited by gotsprings on Thu May 21, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 pm

BPWL.

That system on main street was only listed as it was obvious.

But as also stated in that post...
Lots of standard US HOME deployments. Places where I wouldn't call interference "that high". Problems are less frequent... But still occurs.

Now here... 2 cAP ACs will run about $140. The step to $240 is $100. How many phone calls and pissed off users does it take before you think... "Yeah... That's not a smart business decision... Trying to save $100 bucks."

And the other point you have to learn along the way...
"If it doesn't work... It doesn't matter what it costs."
Last edited by gotsprings on Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 pm

And this is "swatting a fly with a SHOTGUN"... but here is a little tip to help out if you have 2.4 radios doing this to you...

First...
Once you set up caps-man... NAME ALL YOUR RADIOS SOMETHING WITH 2.4 IN IT. (i.e. : caps-man interface name=Router_2.4)
/system scheduler
add interval=1d name=2.4dropper on-event=blink policy=\
    ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,password,sniff,sensitive start-date=\
    may/19/2020 start-time=03:00:00
This will schedule "blink" to run at 3AM everyday. But you can easily modify this to what ever interval works best for you.
(This will also get dual band devices to jump to 5 if they have been stuck on the 2.4 radio.)
/system script
add dont-require-permissions=no name=blink owner=admin policy=\
    ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,password,sniff,sensitive source="/interf\
    ace disable [find name~\"2.4\"]\r\
    \n:delay 00:00:10\r\
    \n/interface enable [find name~\"2.4\"]\r\
    \n"
This is the code to "blink" off all 2.4 radios for 10 seconds, then back on.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 pm

BPWL.
Now here... 2 cAP ACs will run about $140. The step to $240 is $100. How many phone calls and pissed of users does it take before you think... "Yeah... That's not a smart business decision... Trying to save $100 bucks."
Reputation is everything .... ABSOLUTELY everything .... my business thrives on word of mouth from satisfied clients ....
@gotsprings .... you are 100% correct ....

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:37 am

This behavior with the 2.4 radios was observed with wAP AC, cAP AC, and even the hAP AC2.
The problem with MikroTik wireless is not the hardware, but its software. If MikroTik changed from its own written drivers and used the drivers from the Linux kernel itself i.e. mostly the drivers the vendors put into it, we wouldn´t have so much problems with it nowadays

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Cmon folks, the solution has been made crystal clear, will Normis please stand up and do the right thing!
Hire our good and generous friend "bpwl" to help your coders document and improve MT wifi, so that its actually easy enough and understandable enough to tune for reasonable stable results.
If anyone here wants a plugNplay device they are in the wrong forum, but it is fair for MT users and configurators to expect to be able to configure the WiFI for their clients and have expected results and few complaints.

For what its worth I have two capac, one I replaced with a TPLINK eap245 and have no complaints since, prior to that many. However I believe the issue was my config on the R450Gx4 as well as a physical hardware issue with the RB (since retired). It should be noted that on the second CAPAC, I have not seen as many issues (not used as much at least for 5GHz stuff) and it remains in place.
So although I am reasonably happy I am not sure if I am getting the best possible performance, the biggest ticket items were picking the right CCEEEE whatever that is called and ensuring least interference with other APs in the area.