Community discussions

MikroTik App

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Tip for new setup

Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am

Hello all,

i want to supply all tenants of a building with internet access. Mikrotik products seem ideal for this purpose.
But the question is what topology to use in terms of failure safety, wlan coverage, channel allocation, data security and QOS.

Gen. outline:
Building with 10 appartments.
Temporary tenancy from a couple of months to over a year.

Present equipment:
Centralized internet gateway and manageable switch in basement. The switch is configured
to create isolated broadcast domains for every appartment (VLAN1 - VLAN10).
Appartments are connected in star topology via a cat-cabelling.

To consider:
1. The tenancy situation poses unpredictable risks of the buildings network beeing disrupted or compromised:
Even though Accesspoints/Routers are supposed to be high wall or ceiling mounted in the apartments
and tenants are explicitly asked not to alter/modify cabeling or configuration in any way, the devices
will be physically accessable.

2. Previous insular solutions for some apartments are in place and are not to be altered before absolutely necessary.
Meaning, those apartments are equipped with mid aged routers, that are WAN connected to the basement switch.

3. Also there is the question of how to ideally configure the firewalls on building routers to reflect the present
circumstances. There is no centralized/dedicated firewall solution in place.

As to prevent prerouting of any creative input on how to intelligently and cost effedtively approach this situation
i will withold my thoughts for the time beeing.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Jan

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Tip for new setup

Wed May 06, 2020 3:59 pm

This sounds like a homework question lol.
Especially as questions are not really how to configure a mikrotik product but how to solve the professors networking scenario. ;-)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 4:47 pm

If i only where the professor :)
It's actually a problem though...i imagined multiple constellations of devices to try and build this.
But i'm not enaugh of a professor to decide what solution suites the scenario in the best way possible.
For example:
I was thinking of using two devices for every apt. One small router in the basement and one Accesspoint in the apt. itself. That way i could prevent DNS problems when, for instance, tenants connect the devices to the network via the devices LAN port, instead of the Wan interface. If this tandem scenario would be used, i could also try to gain management access to the home-ap from the basement ( if i only knew how to configure VLAN and firewall accordingly :) )
Would you think the idea is usable or is it a plane unnecessary effort...?
Last edited by janFfm on Thu May 07, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 pm

I hope this image helps to illustrate in more detail.

maigonis
just joined

Thu May 07, 2020 12:53 am

How many rooms one flat have? How large are those rooms and what rooms will need wifi access?

I suggest you to setup one cap ac in every room that need wifi, use hap ac2 as main flat router that will also cover one rooms wifi:

LAN cable from basement - hap ac2 - cap ac
- cap ac

For example AP in living room, bedroom, but not in toilet, kitchen if no devices are used there intensely. hap ac2 will give you possibilities to add LAN devices if required and it can be as every flats individual router whit firewall, capsman server for cap acs, etc. Start whit requirements and "perfect" network topology. Write it down and start looking what to setup where and how to configure it all.

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks for the reply,
but the focus of my post has a diffrent angle. it primarily tries to illuminate questions like:

1. Will this "tandem" concept really improve data security (another nat to overcome and dedicated configurable firewall filters) or is it a useless approach.
2. How do i configure the AP's and the accompanying rouer in the basement to a) share the broadcast domain VLAN-mgmt, b) grant mgmt-access to from the basement to both devices, c) have internet access on both VLANs (mgmt and tenant).
3. In this scenario, does a shared broadcastdomain diminish the gains in data security of a tandem-setup (leverage of nat)?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 4:43 am

Still sounds like homework to me, and most responses you will get are to help get you to a working configuration (aka the practical).
You seem more interested in theoretical positions on different types of setups. Perhaps sindy will chime in and wax eloquently cause I sure can't
Gluck though!
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Well i had just tried to be somewhat precise, because many of the involved topics are fairly new to me and i struggle with grasping
general concepts. It helps me to map out everything as detailed as possible.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 11, 2020 9:03 pm

First buy one CAP AC and test, does it work (speed/performance/coverage) for You.

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2020 2:34 pm

I actually allready did. But as i mentioned, coverage is not the topic here.
It's kind of sad. None of the replies really refer to any of the questiones implied.
I wonder why.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Trust me, as soon You set up the whole system, coverage and speed will be the main problem, so better use one router for all or one router for every apartment + extra non Mikrotik accesspoints.

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks for the reply.
I'm certain it will...but that still is not an answer to the questions i asked before.
I was hoping for some experienced users opinions on the general concept and maybe also some coding guidelines or pointers regardinng the setup.

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am

Deleted Post
Last edited by janFfm on Thu May 21, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 20, 2020 9:08 pm

janFfm
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am

Anyone?