Community discussions

MikroTik App

JohnTRIVOLTA
Topic Author

Re: Outdoor MikroTik AP option(s)

Fri May 08, 2020 8:57 am

Does anyone know if MikroTik plans on releasing an updated outdoor WiFi AP anytime soon? Something similar to the wAP AC but on ARM and not MIPSBE? I'm planning on installing an additional AP at home for the backyard and it seems the best option available is the wAP AC. I'd happily wait for an updated AP based on ARM, but not if it's far away.
There is already such a device - NetMetal ac² !

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Is this the type of unit recommended for an outdoor area (backyard property etc) and if so what would be the effective range?
(is it directional, omni, 180 degrees (so pointing out to the yard from center of back of house for example).

helipos
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 am

Its a bit overkill but if you must specify an ARM device its a pretty short list to choose from.
Effective range with a 6dB omni directional, 500 meters to a phone, 3km to another 6db Omni, 7km to 16dB panel antenna and probably 15km to a dish. (with clear lines of sight)
I'm not certain but I think the netmetal comes with no external antennas, you buy them separately, thus can get what you want out of it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Yup sounds about right, the panel to 7km sounds good. I can be swimming in the middle of the lake and get good signal on my waterproof smartphone LOL. The problem is the smart phone return will drown before it hits land LOL

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 am

Yup sounds about right, the panel to 7km sounds good. I can be swimming in the middle of the lake and get good signal on my waterproof smartphone LOL. The problem is the smart phone return will drown before it hits land LOL
Antenna gain works in both directions send+receive. So +16dBi gain in the antenna gives actually the same legal max transmit power (you have to reduce the radio dBm to be legal) , but gives a 16dB improved receive signal strength. (But as such also more interfering signal from the same direction)
Setting more TX power is only one direction, and does not extend the range if the other side is weak.
Putting a better antenna (gain) will extend the range as it works both ways, and the client is mostly the weaker radio.
Last edited by bpwl on Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 am

Thank your for the technical long ass winded explanation of what I just stated ;-P

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 am

You have to keep an eye on the Hardware page as Mikrotik keep releasing new devices without much fanfare.

The new wAP-R-AC is the great 4 core ARM with 2.4GHz, 5GHz and a mini-PCie slot and LTE antennas in the classic wAP case.

https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_r_ac

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:32 pm

The new wAP-R-AC is the great 4 core ARM with 2.4GHz, 5GHz and a mini-PCie slot and LTE antennas in the classic wAP case.

https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_r_ac
If only Mikrotik Cellular could work worth a crap in the US... I WOULD BE ALL OVER THIS THING!!!
Set it up as my failover for commercial installs. Its WiFi Radios could be brought into Caps Man or (MORE LIKELY) I could use the wireless radios as a 3rd back up internet by joining it to a Public Hot Spot.

But it could very much be "Just and OutDoor Version of a cAP AC." It doesn't have a cellular modem by default. Even one that doesn't work in the US.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi GotSprings,

You populate the Wap-R ac with what ever LTE PCIe modem you want. My case an Quectel EP06.
The modem works pretty good and is available in various versions and think one that fits well the US.

I really love this thing. I use it as a Wifi AP for the garden (switch Wifi on/off via SMS) and in
addition it provides FWA/4G data to another device inside the home via 5Ghz Wifi at the same time.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi GotSprings,

You populate the Wap-R ac with what ever LTE PCIe modem you want. My case an Quectel EP06.
The modem works pretty good and is available in various versions and think one that fits well the US.

I really love this thing. I use it as a Wifi AP for the garden (switch Wifi on/off via SMS) and in
addition it provides FWA/4G data to another device inside the home via 5Ghz Wifi at the same time.
Support for Sierra Wireless was incomplete or non existent depending on the card. MC7455 is the best support modem in the US. And Mikrotik didn't have a complete driver.

equrrarrawu
just joined

Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:30 am

As we all know it is an ideal form of using and adding much more attributes to your day with high efficient router options ahead.

The wAP is a little weatherproof remote passageway for your cell phones - ideal for establishment outside your home, in the nursery, on your patio or anyplace else where you need remote access from your telephone or PC.

The gadget has one 10/100 Ethernet port, it underpins 802.11b/g/n remote guidelines. It looks inconspicuous and smooth, accessible in two tones - dark (RBwAP2nD-BE) and white (RBwAP2nD).

The wAP is weatherproof and can be fixed to any outside divider from within the case - so it is safely joined to it's mounting area. The base entryway can likewise be made sure about with an extraordinary screw, which must be opened by the proprietor.

It is additionally conceivable to run the Ethernet link straightforwardly behind the unit, to inside the divider, there is an uncommon opening on the rear of the case. Thusly, the unit doesn't stand out and mixes into any climate.

And if you have any queries pls let me know!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:12 pm

WAPAC6 is what I am waiting for!!!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:52 am

I guess MikroTik will probably not create an ARM version of a single access point device for some time
The "WAP ac" is an ARM 32 bit device. They changed it somewhere last year without changing the name. The product ID has changed to RBwAPG-5HacD2HnD

It used to be RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD, with 3 chain 5 GHz wifi and 1 ethernet port, and MIPSBE based.
Now it has 2 chain 5GHz wifi and 2 ethernet ports, and is ARM based.