Community discussions

MikroTik App

cheesegrits
just joined
Topic Author

Linksys models without PPOE Service Name

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:58 pm

We recently started migrating our wireless networks over to MT routers, using the clients PPPOE Service Name to obtain the appropriate dynamic IP from freeradius on the backend (via the Called-Station-Id attribute).

We have run into a slight snag though, when we discovered that some LinkSys routers don't provide a Service Name in their PPOE config. I don't have details on the exact models, as our installer didn't collect that information, but googling around I've confirmed that several older LinkSys models simply don't support specifying a service name.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem, and if so is there any workaround other than "we don't support your model of LinkSys router"?

Also, are there any other domestic routers we are likely to run into which have this same limitation? Is there any kind of router compatibility list for using PPOE with MT?

-- hugh

mipland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Linksys models without PPOE Service Name

Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Try to install dd-wrt on your Linksys Router.
I have a RB532 as ap, and N Linksys WRT54GL as client.
PPPoE server on Mikrotik, and PPPoE client on Linksys (with MPPE128 encryption).

cheesegrits
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Linksys models without PPOE Service Name

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 am

Yeah, I came across dd-wrt pretty quickly after starting to google this issue!

Unfortunately as an ISP, it's hard for us to do this as part of a customer install. Too much risk of having to eat the cost of a new router if things go wrong, or having an installer spending a whole day sorting a fubar'ed firmware upgrade.

All we can really do for folk running affected routers is suggest they try installing it themselves, as the alternative would seem to be buying another router.

So I guess the most important thing I need to find is some kind of compaitbility list, where I can find out which ones don't provide a Service Name in their PPPOE config. Save our installers a wasted trip.

-- hugh