Community discussions

MikroTik App

cihancan
just joined
Topic Author

Having a bigger dish?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi, i have a mikrotik ldf-5nd im on a 14km 5ghz link dish size is 40cm my connection quality as shown on the screenshot but its jumping alot 40 to 80 and sometimes my signals not reaching access point and i get timeouts that cause app like twitch,games,telegram voice chat to disconnect, so i wonder if i change the dish size to 80-90cm how that would affect my connection quality? would i have better connection? ah and my fresnel zone has blocked %40 by trees there are too many of them and no i cant get them trimmed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Having a bigger dish?  [SOLVED]

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Dish size will likely increase total dBi and therefore improve your signal. However, those trees are a problem. Instead of trimming them, maybe you can put both antennas on a little mast/tower? Also make sure you have aligned your dishes properly.
In terms of wireless quality, there is no magic - it is all simple physics and every compromise you have to accept will affect your signal. There is no magical way around it.

cihancan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Having a bigger dish?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:02 pm

Dish size will likely increase total dBi and therefore improve your signal. However, those trees are a problem. Instead of trimming them, maybe you can put both antennas on a little mast/tower? Also make sure you have aligned your dishes properly.
In terms of wireless quality, there is no magic - it is all simple physics and every compromise you have to accept will affect your signal. There is no magical way around it.
Yes my isp's tech aligned it properly, i have LOS to acess point which on a mountain 14km away. its really hard for me to mount a tower on my roof. thx for answer ill try a bigger dish.

akmodi
just joined

Re: Having a bigger dish?

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes my isp's tech aligned it properly, i have LOS to acess point which on a mountain 14km away. its really hard for me to mount a tower on my roof. thx for answer ill try a bigger dish.
Hi cihancan,

the bigger dish help?