hAP ac^2: Q on passwords and wireless speed

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm new to hAP ac^2 and have 2 questions:

On the QuickSet page under the "Home AP Dual" settings there is this field:
WiFi Password: ...

And in Webfig under Wireless/SecurityProtocols
WPA Pre-Shared Key: ...
WPA2 Pre-Shared Key: ...

Are these 3 password fields all distinct, or will the WPA/WPA2 passwords be set to the same as the WiFi-PW if one sets it in QuickSet?

And an observation/question regarding actual wireless speed: my Samsung smartphone says it has a speed of about 72 Mbps when connecting to wlan1(2 GHz) of the hAP ac^2, and 150 Mbps when connecting to wlan2 (5 GHz). The distance is only about 2 meters :-)
Are these Mbps values not very low? My very old Netgear AP has 300 Mbps, so I had expected that the hAP would offer more than 300 Mpbs...

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: hAP ac^2: Q on passwords and wireless speed

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:37 am

AFAIK, the password you set in QuickSet, you'll find it in Webfig, under Wireless/Security Profiles, as WPA/WPA2 preshared keys.
You can check that is the same password by un-pressing the Hide Passwords button on the left-side menu

But it would be better to use WinBox and to switch from using QuickSet to configuring in-depth your router.

Depending on your Samsung phone, it may be the case that you need to better setup your Wifi networks, to see better speeds.

The community here might be able to help after looking @ your current setup. You can post it here (using CODE display to see it better):
To do that, go to New Terminal and input these 2 commands:
/interface wireless
export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 am

AFAIK, the password you set in QuickSet, you'll find it in Webfig, under Wireless/Security Profiles, as WPA/WPA2 preshared keys.
You can check that is the same password by un-pressing the Hide Passwords button on the left-side menu
Ok, good point for verification. Thx.
But it would be better to use WinBox and to switch from using QuickSet to configuring in-depth your router.
As I'm a Linux user and since Winbox is a Windows application, I prefer the web interface (Webfig).
Of course I could try to run the Windows EXE Winbox under the WINE environment in Linux,
but I think there is no need for this as there is the Webfig avail.
Depending on your Samsung phone, it may be the case that you need to better setup your Wifi networks, to see better speeds.

The community here might be able to help after looking @ your current setup. You can post it here (using CODE display to see it better):
To do that, go to New Terminal and input these 2 commands:
/interface wireless
export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
Ok, here is the export. Can it be improved to get higher wireless speed?
# jun/04/2020 10:04:41 by RouterOS 6.47
# software id = I2LK-MU5N
#
# model = RBD52G-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = XXXXX

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX \
    country=XXXXX disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=\
    indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=XXXXX wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=XXXXX disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=\
    auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=XXXXX wireless-protocol=802.11

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk mode=\
    dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik

Btw, in the log file there is this entry:
Time		Jun/03/2020 19:32:11
Buffer		memory
Topics		wireless info
Message		wlan2: radar detected on 5640000

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Webfig is ok for normal configuration (but when you mess it, only Windows tools like Winbox and Netinstall can recover the hap). The important thing is to never use quickset after initial setup. If you change anithing in Quickset after you get in trouble. Use only Webfig and Terminal for tuning and changes.

Some things to try:
- disable 802.11a and 802.11b support. Keep only n and ac.
- disable wpa-psk and tkip support. Keep only wap2-psk with aes (the old standard can hit seriously the performance).
- you can set location of installation to "any" instead of "indoor".

With my Hap AC2:
- on 2.4G (set to only 20 Mhz channel width for my location interference with multiple AP) i reach 144 Mbits on all my device (for 300 Mbits you must set 40 Mhz Channel and have compatible client).
- on 5 Ghz (set to 40/80 Mhz channel width) i reach the full 433/866 Mbits with 1/2 chain clients (radio connection, the real speed is lower of course).
Last edited by LSan83 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Eureka! Of course it takes two to tango! :-)
It seems my old Samsung phone cannot do more than about 72 or 75 Mbps in 2.4GHz and not more than 150Mbps in 5Ghz.
I haven't verified or extensively tested that yet, but saw a YT video with these same values using a different/unknown AP.
I should test the hAP ac^2 also with some other wireless client devices.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 pm

Webfig is ok for normal configuration (but when you mess it, only Windows tools like Winbox and Netinstall can recover the hap). The important thing is to never use quickset after initial setup. If you change anithing in Quickset after you get in trouble. Use only Webfig and Terminal for tuning and changes.
Thx for this warning, but why is there this restriction/danger with QuickSet? Is it a bug or maybe a bad feature? :-)
Some things to try:
- disable wpa-psk and tkip support. Keep only wap2-psk with aes (the old standard can hit seriously the performance).
Will try. Thx.
With my Hap AC2:
- on 2.4G (set to only 20 Mhz channel width for my location interference with multiple AP) i reach 144 Mbits on all my device (for 300 Mbits you must set 40 Mhz Channel and have compatible client).
- on 5 Ghz (set to 40/80 Mhz channel width) i reach the full 433/866 Mbits with 1/2 chain clients (radio connection, the real speed is lower of course).
Ok, thx, will try it here too.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Some things to try:

With my Hap AC2:
Very good list, there is even more ...
- don't use "auto" freq selection
- don't use XX or XXXX as bandwidth (you have no control like with Ce,eC,Ceee,eCee,....)
- do a survey before choosing channels (40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz is almost never available, there is no room for 2 40 MHz channels)
- co-channel interference is better than adjacent channel interference
- for multiple spatial streams the client must support it as well. Battery powered devices are sometimes limited to single stream. (Max speed from http://mcsindex.com)
etc etc etc
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=161295

alexanwar
just joined

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:11 pm

imho, quickset is only for making initial configuration only, not for modify running config since it will overwrite all other settings with default. usually i use quickset on fresh new device on factory default setting, after that never touch quickset again on that device. use webfig or winbox to configure the rest after using quickset.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:38 pm

I have found this MUM presentation very helpful when starting out on my CapACs.....
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 209343.pdf

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:02 pm

To test these speed issues, I've at eBay just ordered this USB3 WiFi stick for my PC:
"1300Mbps WLAN Wifi Adapter 2.4G/5G Wireless Dongle USB 3.0 Dual band stick"
Manufacturer: COMFAST, Model: CF-812AC --> http://en.comfast.com.cn/index.php?m=co ... =30&id=348
The ad says "1300 Mbps is theoretical speed (2.4GHz 400Mbps + 5.8GHz 867Mbps)", ie. they mean by 1300Mbps the theoretical sum of both, rounded up.
It's just a small USB stick, unlike other similar high-speed sticks it has no external antenna.
Don't know whether it will work in my Linux, though the ad mentions also Linux.
Also don't know the chipset it uses, but could be Realtek I guess.
As said just for testing the hAP ac^2 with this as the client, not to use this as an AP or so.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:27 pm

A new problem: the smartphone no longer recognizes the SSID in 5GHz (says "Not in range"),
even after reverting the few changes I had done in RouterOS v6.47 (stable).
Maybe I should reboot the AP.

Update:
now it's back again. So, then this means to me: after doing any changes in ROS it takes some time (I guess 3+ minutes) until the service is available again for clients.
But it seems this old Samsung S3 cannot do any faster than 150Mbps link speed.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 pm

A new problem: the smartphone no longer recognizes the SSID in 5GHz (says "Not in range"),

Update:
now it's back again. So, then this means to me: after doing any changes in ROS it takes some time (I guess 3+ minutes) until the service is available again for clients.
DFS channels (52-140) take 1 full minute "wait while radar detect" after every change. Channels 120-124-128 take 10 full minutes.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=161646&hilit=DFS%20wait#p796337 .... I wonder if you ever read something, or just talk to yourselves in this forum

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Update:
DFS channels (52-140) take 1 full minute "wait while radar detect" after every change. Channels 120-124-128 take 10 full minutes.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=161646&hilit=DFS%20wait#p796337 .... I wonder if you ever read something, or just talk to yourselves in this forum
I did not know your above message in your link, just saw it right now.
Ok, indeed very interesting to know about these mandatory wait times with these DFS channels.

Do you know what the "AC speed" in the spec of the hAP ac^2 practically means? :
AC speed	AC1200
Wireless 2.4 GHz Max data rate	300 Mbit/s
Wireless 2.4 GHz number of chains	2
Wireless 2.4 GHz standards	802.11b/g/n
Antenna gain dBi for 2.4 GHz	2.5
Wireless 2.4 GHz chip model	IPQ-4018
Wireless 2.4 GHz generation	Wi-Fi 4
Wireless 5 GHz Max data rate	867 Mbit/s
Wireless 5 GHz number of chains	2
Wireless 5 GHz standards	802.11a/n/ac
Antenna gain dBi for 5 GHz	2.5
Wireless 5 GHz chip model	IPQ-4018
Wireless 5 GHz generation	Wi-Fi 5

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:23 pm

No problem. I thought you did see it as your message was edited 7 minutes after my posting in that thread. :-)
Ok, indeed very interesting to know about these mandatory wait times with these DFS channels.

Do you know what the "AC speed" in the spec of the hAP ac^2 practically means? :
AC speed	AC1200
Wireless 2.4 GHz Max data rate	300 Mbit/s
Wireless 2.4 GHz number of chains	2
Wireless 2.4 GHz standards	802.11b/g/n
Antenna gain dBi for 2.4 GHz	2.5
Wireless 2.4 GHz chip model	IPQ-4018
Wireless 2.4 GHz generation	Wi-Fi 4
Wireless 5 GHz Max data rate	867 Mbit/s
Wireless 5 GHz number of chains	2
Wireless 5 GHz standards	802.11a/n/ac
Antenna gain dBi for 5 GHz	2.5
Wireless 5 GHz chip model	IPQ-4018
Wireless 5 GHz generation	Wi-Fi 5
I think that AC1200, AC1300, AC2600 is that what is written commercially on the box to sell the device. Sum of all interface speeds, rounded upwards (300+867 -> AC1200)
Just marketing. Debunked here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

I hope your ComFast stick is 2x2 and has enough 5 GHz channels. (My small Edimax stick has only 4 channels (36-48) . They mention 5.8 GHz, only the upper channel range ???? )

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm

No problem. I thought you did see it as your message was edited 7 minutes after my posting in that thread. :-)
Like said, I did not know, or was not that interested in that problem then.
I hope your ComFast stick is 2x2 and has enough 5 GHz channels. (My small Edimax stick has only 4 channels (36-48) . They mention 5.8 GHz, only the upper channel range ???? )
Sorry, I did not do much in wireless stuff yet.
What is meant by "2x2"? The # of channels?
(Update: nope, it means MIMO :-) --> more at your very informative link https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#MIMO )

The spec of this stick at their web site does not mention any channels, says just this:
http://en.comfast.com.cn/index.php?m=co ... =13&id=132
Wireless standard: IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Transmission rate: 1300 Mbps
Frequency range : 2.412-2.472GHz, 5.180-5.825GHz
I'm trying to get a manual titled "RTL common manual" for this stick, but it's an a$$-slow web server in China :-(
First DL attempt failed :-(
Second DL attempt succeeded, but can't open the PDF after successfully unpacking it from the ZIP.
Maybe it requires MS or Adobe specific reader; what a si-lly company...

Kamaz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi,
I have same router and want to figure out one thing. What is Radio name? What value should it has? Should it be equal to MAC address?

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi,
I have same router and want to figure out one thing. What is Radio name? What value should it has? Should it be equal to MAC address?
Yes, MAC of the other side w/o the colons, and only If two MikroTik wireless devices connect to each other.
In other cases (for example if a smartphone connects to the MT AP) the Radio Name under Wireless / Registration is empty.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi,
I use a name so I can recognize the connected device in wireless "registration". Suppose you have 2 wAP broadcasting SSID "MySSID" on all radio's.
Then suppose you have a hAP connecting to that SSID as "station bridge".
If the names are properly choosen it's easy to follow what is connected to what in the hAP and wAP devices.

Names I use are like
wAP1_2, wAP1_5, wAP2_2, wAP2_5, hAP_2, hAP2_5 for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio's.

"Descriptive name of the device, that is shown in registration table entries on the remote devices. This is a proprietary extension"

Other example (using DUDE RouterOS info to collect registration info ... easier than memorizing MAC addresses)
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Names I use are like
wAP1_2, wAP1_5, wAP2_2, wAP2_5, hAP_2, hAP2_5 for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio's.
@bpwl, where do you define that? Is it the "Name" field on the wlan interface page, or a different field?