MikroTik App

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

AP and Station

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to configure two MK with double wireless card to work as AP and Station.
MK1 is configured as AP bridge, MK2 is configured as Station and they connect each other because is can see MK2 connecting to MK1 with a cable via WinBox.
To do this I need to configure MK1 interfaces (eth1 and wlan1) in bridge so it has a unique IP address.
The strange thing is that I can ping MK1->MK2 but not MK2->MK1. Both of them have IP addresses in the same subnet and one is the Default Gateway of the other.
What might be my mistake ?

Rgds

illiniwireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AP and Station

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm

If you could tell us if the units are bridged or routing. thanks

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm

What I would like to do is to have the two units bridged together. jist like if they where simple AP and client.
MK acts normally as router, with different IPs (on different subnets) on its interfaces, so in case of an RB532 with two wlan cards I have to create a bridge (e.g. "bridge1") and put two interfaces in the bridge (e.g. wlan1 and eth1).
I've done the same with MK units that works as Station. In this way (if I'm correct) I'll obtain two units, each of them with only one "virtual" interface that is the bridge, to which I've assigned the IP address.
The wireless configuration AP bridge<-->Station will be built on units configured as described.
Am I correct?

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:50 pm

----
yes,
when your interface set into bridge, put ip address to bridge.

regards
Hasbullah.com
----

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:52 pm

What I would like to do is to have the two units bridged together. jist like if they where simple AP and client.
MK acts normally as router, with different IPs (on different subnets) on its interfaces, so in case of an RB532 with two wlan cards I have to create a bridge (e.g. "bridge1") and put two interfaces in the bridge (e.g. wlan1 and eth1).
I've done the same with MK units that works as Station. In this way (if I'm correct) I'll obtain two units, each of them with only one "virtual" interface that is the bridge, to which I've assigned the IP address.
The wireless configuration AP bridge<-->Station will be built on units configured as described.
Am I correct?

Per MT Quick Setup Guide: Note that cards in station mode can not be bridged

I beleive for your station routers you will want to utilize masquerade or routing to establish communications between all interfaces desired.

Regards

GotNet

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Am I correct?

Per MT Quick Setup Guide: Note that cards in station mode can not be bridged

I beleive for your station routers you will want to utilize masquerade or routing to establish communications between all interfaces desired.

Regards
True unless you use 3.x beta with station-pseudobridge mode.

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:34 pm

True unless you use 3.x beta with station-pseudobridge mode.
Ahhh, new capabilities.

Thank you GotNet

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:29 am

I've followed what described in Wiki (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks) and everithing works fine... :D