Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Mukah
just joined
Topic Author

Antenna RF shielding

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:34 am

I was curious if anyone has found or attempted to make RF sheilds to put behind sector antennas? With the 2.4ghz noise floor continuing to rise and for tower sites with multiple sectors without the ability to use all three non-overlapping channels, I could see a need for this.

I have a site with 3 sectors and each radio see's the others as -5 to -20 because of the strong back lobes. I can be a mile away from the tower and pickup signal on all three sectors (90 degree). The one with the main lobe in that area is always stronger but that just tells me that the sectors that are servicing users in the other direction is picking up noise from behind it that it shouldn't even be seeing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

illiniwireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Antenna RF shielding

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:46 am

No I haven't tried anything yet but I have thought about doing the same thing. I'm not sure where to start with this but I will try looking up some info on this.

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:43 pm

You will most certainly effect the directionality of the sector.
It really comes down to the design of the sector antenna, side lobing, front to back ratio, etc.

You should focus on antenna seperation. Have a look at cell towers with binoculars, as that is what must be done.

interlink

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm

Covering the back side of the sector with a metalic mesh should work fine too. But the separation is the best solution.

JR
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:29 pm

Mount the [seperated] sectors higher up, then aim them down to cover the serving area, this way the back lobes will be pointing up (to the sky).

Use minimum power!!!