MikroTik App

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CIR (Commited Information Rate)

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi there.
Does anybody knows which could be the CIR in the Mikrotik cards?.

Thanks. :?

HarvSki

Re: CIR (Commited Information Rate)

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Hello

This is done using Queues not cards....

Please explain your question

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:48 am

Hello.
Thanks 4 your answer, but I don't understand your point, I mean, CIR is a basic definition of a compromise regarding rate benefits.

My question was regarding Mikrotik compromise in this sense.

Because Queues are used 4 priorities, not 4 CIR.

Thanks.

HarvSki

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:36 am

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... notfound=6&
CIR (Committed Information Rate) - the guaranteed data rate. It means that traffic rate, not exceeding this value should always be delivered
I always understood that CIR was a function of Queues - I could be wrong

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:08 pm

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... notfound=6&
CIR (Committed Information Rate) - the guaranteed data rate. It means that traffic rate, not exceeding this value should always be delivered
I always understood that CIR was a function of Queues - I could be wrong
No problem, thanks anyway.

El-Emin

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 am

Each class in the hierarchy can prioritize and shape traffic. There are 2 main parameters in RouterOS which refer to shaping and one - to prioritizing:

* limit-at - data rate that is guaranteed to a class (CIR)
* max-limit - maximal data rate that is allowed for a class to reach (MIR)
* priority - order in which classes are served at the same level (8 is the lowest priority, 1 is the highest)
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2.9/root/queue.php

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks 4 your answer, but actually queues are not telling u about CIR.
CIR is "speed" that some device can develop, independently of its features, so, queues have other functions.

Thanks anyway.

An example.

Some Canopy product tells u that its speed is 512Kbps, its burts speed is 768Kbps and its CIR is 100Kbps full-duplex. I mean, that is a clear information!.

Thanks.

P.S.: I was asking about CIR Mikrotik is offering 2 me, as a provider, not instead how could I offer CIR to my clients, because this last is something pretty clear.

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:40 pm

Well, it seems like nobody has done this question first, really strange, but, it's true.

JR
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Some Canopy product tells u that its speed is 512Kbps, its burts speed is 768Kbps and its CIR is 100Kbps full-duplex. I mean, that is a clear information!.

Thanks.

P.S.: I was asking about CIR Mikrotik is offering 2 me, as a provider, not instead how could I offer CIR to my clients, because this last is something pretty clear.
MT is software ONLY! which you will have to config, if you want better than canopy then just do the relevant config.
The wireless cards have limits, so just check the specs.

Now think of what you would offer a wisp with an MT enable wireless router.
What would you quote to them regarding the CIR? [/yourself in MT shoes]

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks.

MT is software ONLY! which you will have to config, if you want better than canopy then just do the relevant config.
The wireless cards have limits, so just check the specs.

Now think of what you would offer a wisp with an MT enable wireless router.
What would you quote to them regarding the CIR? [/yourself in MT shoes]
Well, man, you are really not right on you observation. I'm asking about real features on MTK, I already know there is a software to config (but there is also some hardware behind it, I mean, MTK software on Routerboard hardware).
By the way, where did you read about me wanting better features than Canopy????, please let me know, because I'm talking about a clear information, just that!!!.

Thanks anyway.

GWISA-Kroonstad
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:47 am

CIR should be No. of Clients dependant. There is always a threshold which if you pass, your CIR will get lower. Canopy with 30Mbps capabilities usually can handle 100 clients as Motorola states. 30/100= 300kbps per client when all connected. Off course this is theoratical. The real-life tests yield 100kbps because of processor loads etc. MTs limitations are not on the software but the radio hardware used on RBs. Don't recall how much but MT once stated the PPs capabilities of RB532, and it was much higher than that of the best available mini-pci radios. So yes, your CIR is not gonna be that impressive on 802.11b, but you might find good 100kbps results with 25 good signal clients or so on 802.11a.

By the way, the Motorolla stated CIR is based on ideal conditions.

Gr8 topic worth discussing and testing, though.

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi there GWISA.

Actually, as I see, CIR is not dependant on number of clientes, it would be traffic dependant instead, but number of clients of course could be another question, absolutely.
I mean, it is not the same 100 clients downloading email compeared with 100 clients doing P2P, for example, so, this demonstrate that traffic is the main reason, not clients.

I prefer ideal information to none information, by the way.

Of course that hardware is critical, I only tried to got some information, I mean, I use MTK, I wanted to have real/ideal reference, at least.

Thanks.

IHDF
just joined

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello I need some help please, i'm a network administrator and I have some difficulties in the configuration of QoS in Mikrotik!!! Ok for example : I have 2M of internet and 3 computers in my network (3 users) user1 512kb, user2 512k and user3 1M. I want to configure in such a way that if network is free(when user3 is not using all the 1M) and user1 is in need, then it can go above the 512kb automatically but when user3 want to use the full 1M, user1 should come back to 512kb and does not exceed it. Is this possible? thanks for help.