MikroTik App

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAPsMAN Wi-Fi Channel width question

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 am

Hello
Does the hAP ac^2 could support 160Mhz or just up to 80Mhz?
WISP AP.PNG
How can I configure the following on the caps channel setting?
caps2.PNG
also if on my Capsman setting I dont have defined any channels how does it pick it?
hapac2interfaces.PNG

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMAN Wi-Fi Channel width question

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Set Control Channel on 20MHz, nothing else!
Set extension channel to Ceee.
Set channel to either one of these frequencies:

5180 (36)
5260 (52)
5500 (100)
5580 (116)
5660 (132)

This also depends on where you are located!

Max for the hAP ac2 is 80MHz.

You might want to adjust transpmission power, especially on the 2.4GHz radio.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Can i do the 2.4 and 5 on the same cfg?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

I prefer to have a configuration per radio per accesspoint. But it will work.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am

how do you make it? can you share an example?
i am facing some raspberry pi3 that can't connect to the wifi since the change of the width to 20mhz with Ceee
how do i allow 2.4?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 am

Ceee means 5GHz (as 2.4GHz allows Ce at max).
Here is (part of) my config:
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=disabled frequency=2462 name=f-2462 tx-power=9
add band=5ghz-a/n/ac control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=Ceee frequency=5500 name=f-5500 tx-power=25
/caps-man datapath
add client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=dp-50 vlan-id=50 vlan-mode=use-tag
add client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=yes name=dp-51 vlan-id=51 vlan-mode=use-tag
/caps-man rates
add basic=6Mbps,12Mbps,24Mbps name=rate1 supported=6Mbps,9Mbps,12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=SSID passphrase=PASSWORD
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=SSID_Guest passphrase=PASSWORD_Guest
/caps-man configuration
add channel=f-2462 country=netherlands datapath=dp-50 distance=indoors hw-retries=3 installation=indoor mode=ap multicast-helper=full name=Conf-2G \
    rates=rate1 security=SECURITY ssid=SSID
add datapath=dp-51 name=Conf-Guest rates=rate1 security=SECURITY_Guest ssid=SSID_Guest
add channel=f-5500 country=netherlands datapath=dp-50 distance=indoors hw-retries=3 installation=indoor mode=ap multicast-helper=full name=Conf-5G \
/caps-man access-list
add action=accept allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-85..-10 ssid-regexp=""
add action=reject allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-120..-86 ssid-regexp=""
/caps-man manager
set ca-certificate=auto certificate=auto enabled=yes
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=Conf-5G name-format=identity radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX slave-configurations=Conf-Guest
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=Conf-2G name-format=identity radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX slave-configurations=Conf-Guest
This is working really well for me. In addition, VLAN 50 is HOME VLAN, VLAN 51 is Guest VLAN.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm

how do you make it? can you share an example?
i am facing some raspberry pi3 that can't connect to the wifi since the change of the width to 20mhz with Ceee
how do i allow 2.4?
found it
/caps-man configuration
add channel=channel24 datapath=datapath1 installation=indoor mode=ap name=cfg24 security=security1 ssid=hAP2
add channel=channel51 datapath=datapath1 installation=indoor mode=ap name=cfg51 security=security1 ssid=hAP2

/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=gn master-configuration=cfg24 name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=2.4g
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=an master-configuration=cfg51 name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=5g

now lets see how it works...

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm

/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=disabled frequency=2462 name=f-2462 tx-power=9
add band=5ghz-a/n/ac control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=Ceee frequency=5500 name=f-5500 tx-power=25
/caps-man datapath
add client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=dp-50 vlan-id=50 vlan-mode=use-tag
add client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=yes name=dp-51 vlan-id=51 vlan-mode=use-tag
/caps-man rates
add basic=6Mbps,12Mbps,24Mbps name=rate1 supported=6Mbps,9Mbps,12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=SSID passphrase=PASSWORD
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=SSID_Guest passphrase=PASSWORD_Guest
/caps-man configuration
add channel=f-2462 country=netherlands datapath=dp-50 distance=indoors hw-retries=3 installation=indoor mode=ap multicast-helper=full name=Conf-2G \
add datapath=dp-51 name=Conf-Guest rates=rate1 security=SECURITY_Guest ssid=SSID_Guest
add channel=f-5500 country=netherlands datapath=dp-50 distance=indoors hw-retries=3 installation=indoor mode=ap multicast-helper=full name=Conf-5G \
/caps-man access-list
add action=accept allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-85..-10 ssid-regexp=""
add action=reject allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-120..-86 ssid-regexp=""
/caps-man manager
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=Conf-5G name-format=identity radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX slave-configurations=Conf-Guest
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=Conf-2G name-format=identity radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX slave-configurations=Conf-Guest
This is working really well for me. In addition, VLAN 50 is HOME VLAN, VLAN 51 is Guest VLAN.
Thanks much for that
I took the power adjustment you have suggested. Can you explain what is the value of 9 vs 25 and what is the max?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:33 pm

tx-power numbers are in dBm, so higher numbers mean higher Tx power. Maximum is either device capability or country-specific limit, whichever lower. And don't forget that to calculate actual Tx power output from wireless chip one has to substract antenna gain from set values (antenna gain for built-in antennae is usually 2 or 3 dBi).

The numbers shown in example are sensible because propagation loss is greater on higher frequencies while capacity is higher on higher frequencies hence it's benefitial if client devices select 5GHz AP rather than 2.4GHz one. And client devices tend to select whichever is strongest hence reduction of 2.4GHz tx-power as compared to 5GHz tx-power.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 pm

Tnx for the explanation!

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 pm

tx-power numbers are in dBm, so higher numbers mean higher Tx power. Maximum is either device capability or country-specific limit, whichever lower. And don't forget that to calculate actual Tx power output from wireless chip one has to substract antenna gain from set values (antenna gain for built-in antennae is usually 2 or 3 dBi).

The numbers shown in example are sensible because propagation loss is greater on higher frequencies while capacity is higher on higher frequencies hence it's benefitial if client devices select 5GHz AP rather than 2.4GHz one. And client devices tend to select whichever is strongest hence reduction of 2.4GHz tx-power as compared to 5GHz tx-power.

So 25 for 5GHz and 9 for 2.4Ghz is recommended ?
When you publish channels do you publish specific frequencies ?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:02 am

So 25 for 5GHz and 9 for 2.4Ghz is recommended ?
When you publish channels do you publish specific frequencies ?
The values are working fine for me, but it depends on your situation and needs. If I remember correctly, it is recommended to have a difference of 7 (or 9) dBi (where the 2.4GHz radio should be lower).

Regarding the channels...that's up to you. You can configure a list of channels from which the CAPs will pick one. Or have everything auto. Or, in my case, specify the channel per CAPs per radio. In the end, it is up to you.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:26 am

/caps-man channel
/caps-man datapath
/caps-man rates
/caps-man security
/caps-man configuration
/caps-man access-list
/caps-man manager
/caps-man provisioning

When changwd to 5500 it says not supported channel on interface. Ehat does it mean

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 am

When changwd to 5500 it says not supported channel on interface. Ehat does it mean
Exactly what it says...it is not supported.
Cause could be either not allowed by regulations (what country are you in?), when you are trying to set a 5GHz channel on the 2.4GHz radio (or vice versa) or misconfiguration (i.e. on the extension channels).

FurfangosFrigyes

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:00 pm

/caps-man channel
/caps-man datapath
/caps-man rates
/caps-man security
/caps-man configuration
/caps-man access-list
/caps-man manager
/caps-man provisioning

It means that the control channel and/or the extension channels are out of range or not allowed to use in that specific country with this configuration.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Which rates settings are recommended?