Community discussions

MikroTik App

sysatti
just joined
Topic Author

QoS on Wireless bridge with no routing/firewall

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Dear Community,

I'd like to kindly ask for your advice. I have a Wireless bridge link between my house and my gate using a Mikrotik mAP lite (inhouse) and a wAP outdoor device (at gate) and as per Winbox the Signal Strength is around -50 - -55 dB.

At the gate I've setup a Video enabled doorbell at which operates as a surveillance camera and a SIP intercom as well - calling my inhouse SIP phones by pressing the calling key. It provides a 720p h264 videostream which is pulled by my NVR constantly (at 6 fps). My problem is that I experience flapping / braking voice on the intercom side (outgoing) if I'm using the wireless link. If I take the intercom inhouse and connect to the wired network, all sounds good (asterisk is hosted on LAN).

I found an article about traffic shaping/prioritization identifying packages and using queues. I believe this was it: https://scoop.co.za/blog/post/basic-voi ... g-mikrotik

However I think this queue setup only helps in case the packages pass thru firewall rules. In this particular case both the wired/wireless interfaces are in the same bridge on both side so I believe no firewall action happens. I performed these steps, obviously selecting the wireless interface on one side and the wired on the other side but the counter does not even move by filtering for UDP traffic between the intercom and the SIP server.

Do you have any idea what other options I have to prioritize the wireless traffic for SIP if no routing / firewall rules are used? Again it is strage that the voice flapping only happens to the outgoing direction - not sure if it has anything todo with the constant incoming video stream (about 1.5 - 2 Mbps).

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks,

Atti

timscoop
Trainer
Trainer

Re: QoS on Wireless bridge with no routing/firewall  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Atti

Not sure if you are still require a solution for this? It sounds like the wireless connection quality isn't very good as the amounts of bandwidth you describe here are well below the capabilities of wifi. What does the latency look like on the link? How is your CCQ?

The QOS method in the link should work fine on the LAN but if your wireless connection is the issue I don't think it will be very effective. Please post your config.

sysatti
just joined
Topic Author

Re: QoS on Wireless bridge with no routing/firewall

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Hey,

thank you for replying. I realized that I made lots of the common mistakes while configuring my wireless environments so that's why it was performing badly.
The following presentation helped me to fix everything: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 209343.pdf

Cheers!