Community discussions

MikroTik App

eakteam
just joined
Topic Author

Very bad WiFi throughput ! Slow performance and connection issues.

Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 am

Hi all, after more than 1 week testing almost every option in WiFi for public clients(Hotel-Restaurant), decided to request help here !
The ISP is giving me 40Mbps/40Mbps bandwidth, connected through Mikrotik RB3011UiAS at ether1 via pppoe-client.
ether2-ether5 are added to bridge (dhcp server)-(protocol-mode=none, proxy-arp) also tried other options.
Testing the internet speed connected through PC or other basic (linksys, zte etc.) to those port seems very fine without any issue !

But i have extremely bad wifi when using mikrotik ap (RB911G and RB Metal 2HSPN).
Tried to connect those devices directly in Bridge Mode, tried with Capsman config, tried as Router, tried all WiFi options, tried to only 20Mghz, tried band only-n tried protection mode, ht, chains etc.... everything !!!

I am not able to solve this issue, tried spectral scan and every other recommendations in other forums but nothing can solve that issue !
Playing with tx-power, antenna gain, ht-msc and evrything that exist in Mikrotik.

Tried non overlaping channels, tried local-forward, tried only-g mode, b/g mode b/g/n mode only n mode.

Basic WiFi routers (10$) gives me 40Mbps/40Mbps even with much connected clients, in other hand Mikrotik devices (Professional, mentioned above) gives me no more than 10Mbps and sometimes cannot even connect to them ...

No encryption uses (it is open WiFi with some ACL rules to not allow very far devices)

I am going crazy and don't know what to do more.
Anything you recommend ?

All routers are upgraded to 6.48beta12, also tried other firmares.

Sorry for my "not good" English.

santyx32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Very bad WiFi throughput ! Slow performance and connection issues.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:21 pm

Mikrotik ROS doesn't plays well with interference like other vendors specially on 2.4ghz, your alternative maybe to go with another vendor nor update to 5ghz. Btw those are really underpowered equipment which may not be capable of handling too much simultaneous users.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 am

I dont understand the last answer
You are saying that MT is not good enough and he should go with other vendors??

neutronlaser

Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:26 am

they are good just fix it

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:43 am

change vendor and you 'll solve your problem

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:13 am

There is a lot more information that could be supplied:
  • Did you connect antenna?
  • Could you supply /export hide-sensitive from the accesspoints?
  • What client was used to test with?
  • How did you test?
  • Why use beta?
Besides, you can ignore the rants...MikroTik does supply rocksolid WiFi solutions. They just require proper setup.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Besides, you can ignore the rants...MikroTik does supply rocksolid WiFi solutions. They just require proper setup
I am sorry... That's just not true.

Mikrotik wireless has been behind the times for a while now. They never got MU-MIMO working. And the 2.4 radios will flat out stop accepting clients until restarted in noisy environments.

When they coped to it about the 2.4 radio... They said my install was unique in the level of interference. Unfortunately... It was not unique for me. I had the same problem in 40 other locations.

I tried and tried and tweaked and tweaked... Caps-man would be the greatest thing if it could control good radios... Alas it can't.

Every Single I stall where customers were bitching... Swapping to another wireless vendor solved the problem... Every single time.

My own home doesn't have enough interference to trip the problem. But sadly... All my commercials installs do and most of my residential too.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Let's hope you post your config here, so we can have a look at it. Then tune it step by step.

Trying all combinations at random ...
"Tried to connect those devices directly in Bridge Mode, tried with Capsman config, tried as Router, tried all WiFi options, tried to only 20Mghz, tried band only-n tried protection mode, ht, chains etc.... everything !!!

I am not able to solve this issue, tried spectral scan and every other recommendations in other forums but nothing can solve that issue !
Playing with tx-power, antenna gain, ht-msc and evrything that exist in Mikrotik."

.... will not bring you to the solution. The number of combinations of settings is too large to just find the best one by trying everything.

You (we) should evaluate the situation at every step, and make an educated decision on what step to take. If not effective that step is un-done.

The basic/default setting in Mikrotik is excellent for clear and undisturbed conditions. It indeed needs some tweaking if the situation is not ideal for wifi.

Please start from just a good basic setup.
- return to the LT version 6.45.9
- check the physical setup of the AP. (Not in a corner, away from other electronic devices not near metal surfaces)
- check the wifi spectrum around you (use tools "Freq Usage", "Scan" and "Snooper")
- set regulatory domain and correct country
- for 2.4GHz band only use 20 MHz bandwidth, use n-only, and do select a non-interfering channel. If there is traffic on 1-6-11 then choose the least active one. Do not select anything in between as channel. Never use "auto" frequency selection.
- for the 5 GHz band, start with a max bandwidth of 40 MHz, use ac-only. Again select a non interfering channel (and the co-channel). Use a DFS channel if needed.
- leave everything else on default. It's easy to totally destroy the wifi performance by just setting "something" on a different value.

Post your config, and the full wireless "registration" table for the connected devices. And tell us what you experience and from what distance you connect.
The wireless registration (in full detail) is most important in understanding how your wifi connection is performing, and is almost the only information to direct the tuning path to follow.

Copying a so called " better setup" from some other setup experience is useless. The general good setup is the default. The tuned setup will indeed perform better in that specific situation, but probably much worse in any other situation.

Can you also indicate the exact product numbers (RB911G is a level 3 device???) and the antenna being used. (RB Metal 2HSPn is very high power old outdoor device ???)

neutronlaser

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 pm

Besides, you can ignore the rants...MikroTik does supply rocksolid WiFi solutions. They just require proper setup
I am sorry... That's just not true.

Mikrotik wireless has been behind the times for a while now. They never got MU-MIMO working. And the 2.4 radios will flat out stop accepting clients until restarted in noisy environments.

When they coped to it about the 2.4 radio... They said my install was unique in the level of interference. Unfortunately... It was not unique for me. I had the same problem in 40 other locations.

I tried and tried and tweaked and tweaked... Caps-man would be the greatest thing if it could control good radios... Alas it can't.

Every Single I stall where customers were bitching... Swapping to another wireless vendor solved the problem... Every single time.

My own home doesn't have enough interference to trip the problem. But sadly... All my commercials installs do and most of my residential too.
nobody has 40 locations liar

santyx32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:45 am

MikroTik does supply rocksolid WiFi solutions.
Only when using third party OS on MT hardware, otherwise no

Marcos14
just joined

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:24 am

is like the friend up there spoke, I have a hAP mini and the wireless is extremely unstable, download speed, upload, ping ... MikroTik is great at other things more in wireless is not, the impression it gives is that it does not react well in places with interferences from other manufacturers. Personally I get really sad because I really like routeros and its stability in routing but in wireless the story is different.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Umm what?

I have been deploying Mikrotiks for around 10 years now. I assure you... I have done more than 40 sites in a month during peaks.

sirlindqvist

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Maybe I can borrow this thread to ask about best settings aswell? Been playing around last week with different settings trying to get the best signal. I live in a house with 2 floors. Using an RB3011 as router/Caps manager. I have one wAP ac mounted at the wall up the stair between 1st and 2nd floor and one hAP ac (RB962). Tried vey many different settings such set country, no country, indoor/outdoor, diffrent extension channels, various tx power etc. Also used the tools in the access point to scan neighbourhood to find the most less crowded channels.

What is a good signal? Most clients have -30 to -55. A very few -60 to -65. No one is over -70. Should i prefer 2.4 over 5GHz? 2 devices are consoles where high speed for big downloads would be good. However, 5Ghz has less coverage for me, weaker signal.

Current settings:
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=Ce frequency=2417 name=2.4GHz
add band=5ghz-onlyac control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=Ceee frequency=5745 name=5GHz
add bridge=bridge bridge-horizon=1 client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=capsman
/caps-man rates
add basic=6Mbps,12Mbps,24Mbps name=capsman supported=6Mbps,9Mbps,12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=capsman
/caps-man configuration
add channel=2.4GHz datapath=capsman installation=outdoor multicast-helper=full name=capsman2.4 rates=capsman security=capsman ssid="MikroTik CAPsMAN 2.4GHz"
add channel=5GHz datapath=capsman installation=outdoor multicast-helper=full name=capsman5 rates=capsman security=capsman ssid="MikroTik CAPsMAN 5GHz"

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:08 pm

You would be well advised to shut your cake hole and not make slanderous claims unless you actually know the individual.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Sirlind, not your thread per se, but typically 2.4 will go through one wall and travel further due to its lower frequency (longer wavelength - not so easily attenuated).
If one is using 5AC, being in LOS or same room will get you higher bandwidth but at some distance and certainly through obstacles the tortoise (2.4) wins due to being a more solid connection.

sirlindqvist

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Sirlind, not your thread per se, but typically 2.4 will go through one wall and travel further due to its lower frequency (longer wavelength - not so easily attenuated).
If one is using 5AC, being in LOS or same room will get you higher bandwidth but at some distance and certainly through obstacles the tortoise (2.4) wins due to being a more solid connection.
Should i create my own thread? Thought problem was like the same as OP.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:13 pm

[/quote]

Should i create my own thread? Thought problem was like the same as OP.
[/quote]

Maybe you should. Most tuning has quite its own goals and its own environment and settings. But as OP did not post his/her configuration and resulting registration values so far, it's difficult to hint any further.

The start setup is the same for most. So you could implement this already. (I test with direct configuration. When satisfied one can translate it to CAPsMAN settings, some parameters are missing however, and should be set locally.)

You did not give much information , but already as a starting point, I would avoid 40MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Frequency 2417 (channel2) is deadly for channel 1, 6 and even is one step closer to 11 than it should.. So this probably interferes with the whole 2.4 GHz band. Any one in the neighborhood that uses channel 1 and 6 will not use co-channel interference with your device. The channels must match for (friendly) coexistence.

You are indoor, and limit the channels to outdoor frequencies in the 5 GHz band. Use "any" as installation if devices are indoors. There you can use all frequencies. They differ in allowed TXpower."Ceee" is wide. If you have dual stream this is for 866Mbps interface rates. With "Ce" you can already have 400 Mbps as interface rate. (=200 Mbps data rate), and this will be more stable than Ceee. Through a wall this will drop. Check the TX/RX CCQ in registration. Signal strength may not be your problem but signal quality.

Rates look OK. But "n" uses HT MCS as rate setting, and "ac" uses VHT MCS

Security is OK.

wAP ac and hAP ac2 work till -86 dBm. You might be down to 6-12Mbps and MCS 0-1 (also 6-12 Mbps) interface rate. Through wall's you have low CCQ. With 50% CCQ you sent everything twice on average, halving the P-throughput further.

sirlindqvist

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:15 pm

Maybe you should. Most tuning has quite its own goals and its own environment and settings. But as OP did not post his/her configuration and resulting registration values so far, it's difficult to hint any further.

The start setup is the same for most. So you could implement this already. (I test with direct configuration. When satisfied one can translate it to CAPsMAN settings, some parameters are missing however, and should be set locally.)

You did not give much information , but already as a starting point, I would avoid 40MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Frequency 2417 (channel2) is deadly for channel 1, 6 and even is one step closer to 11 than it should.. So this probably interferes with the whole 2.4 GHz band. Any one in the neighborhood that uses channel 1 and 6 will not use co-channel interference with your device. The channels must match for (friendly) coexistence.

You are indoor, and limit the channels to outdoor frequencies in the 5 GHz band. Use "any" as installation if devices are indoors. There you can use all frequencies. They differ in allowed TXpower."Ceee" is wide. If you have dual stream this is for 866Mbps interface rates. With "Ce" you can already have 400 Mbps as interface rate. (=200 Mbps data rate), and this will be more stable than Ceee. Through a wall this will drop. Check the TX/RX CCQ in registration. Signal strength may not be your problem but signal quality.

Rates look OK. But "n" uses HT MCS as rate setting, and "ac" uses VHT MCS

Security is OK.

wAP ac and hAP ac2 work till -86 dBm. You might be down to 6-12Mbps and MCS 0-1 (also 6-12 Mbps) interface rate. Through wall's you have low CCQ. With 50% CCQ you sent everything twice on average, halving the P-throughput further.
Hi and big thanx for answear!

Lets sort this out. I get that signal strength might not be an issue here but quality. Thats why i get lag in online games etc. i guess.

Lets start with 2.4GHz band. Didnt really get you there. I used the built in tools to find a freq. no one else in hood are using. Thought i could get whichever i like :) But you say no so i wonder which channels would i prefer? 2412, 2437, 2462 maybe? And choose one of these thats most less crowded? Or maybe all 3 and set a re-select intervall in caps config every hour or something? Current using Ce extension channel. Should i use this on 2.4? Would any tune in TX rate get any better? How do i avoid 40 Mhz channels ? :)

On 5GHz band you say Ceee is for dual stream, do you mean dual chain here? wAP ac is dual chain and hAP ac is actually tripple chain. You say Ce is more stable and enough so i might try that. Can any TX tune improve further?

Should i set country or leave it blank?

Current CCQ:

wAP ac 2.4: pending 75-90%
wAP ac 5: cant see any value at all here

hAP ac 2.4: almost same here, pending 80-90%
hAP ac 5: 85-95%

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:22 pm

For sure you should set country.... this is part of your setup

This will dictate couple of important things like frequencies used. Guess what, your phone
is certified and will use only those allowed in your country , same for most other clients.
Example. if your AP selects channel 13 and your phone will use only 1-11 because 13 is not allowed in your country
you can not even connect to the AP and then post here "I have bad Wifi... ".

sirlindqvist

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 pm

For sure you should set country.... this is part of your setup

This will dictate couple of important things like frequencies used. Guess what, your phone
is certified and will use only those allowed in your country , same for most other clients.
Example. if your AP selects channel 13 and your phone will use only 1-11 because 13 is not allowed in your country
you can not even connect to the AP and then post here "I have bad Wifi... ".
Well, dont care anymore now, going with standard settings for wifi just for our phones now since i spent all time since 7am yesterday installing wired connections. Mounted 19" i wardrobe downstairs with patch panel for keystone jacks etc. and have added a total of 8 wired connections around the house on both 1st and 2nd floor. Wire allways beats wireless anyway :)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Why not we have about 500 locations....

sacedo
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi folks, I have a similar issue and it is causing me headache at this point, I have tried multiple things and nothing seems to work. OP did you find a solution for this? I'll post my issue in a different thread but just want to know if there's light at the end of the tunnel at least for you

sacedo
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Here is my post in case you're interested in help or see other people comments viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172730