Community discussions

MikroTik App

Superdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Graphing MT AP clients in Cacti

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:13 pm

Hello, enybody here use Cacti for monitoring?

I want to use Cacti for graphing each client connected to the MT AP, is this possible?
How to do it?

pinam
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Graphing MT AP clients in Cacti

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 am

I use cacti for monitoring MikroTik routers, however not all the clients. It depends on what do you want to graph. There are some templates already made for MikroTik, however, I have not found any to fill my needs, so I am thinking about writing my own, unfortunately it is not a priority now, so I do not promise anything in this point.

nickb

Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm

You can't monitor the clients easily because their OID changes when they reassociate.

pinam
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm

You can't monitor the clients easily because their OID changes when they reassociate.
I had not noticed a change when client reassociated. The OID in "/interface wireless registration-table print oid" is in format oidbase.macaddress.interfaceindex . Correct me if I am wrong, but I use to graph signal of associated stations and it works fine after reassociation/reboot. I can imagine there may be some difficulties with interfaceindex if new interface is added, however I have not came accross this yet.

Superdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 am

Sounds great pinam.

Would be nice to graph snr and traffic to se where problems come from.

How do you do it when you add new clients to your AP, or even new AP with lets say 13 clients, you have to add each client manualy or can you "search" the ap for interfaces like for example a switch and choose witch you want to graph?

pinam
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:47 pm

Probably not as great as it sounds :-(. But it is possible though.

I graph only some selected links so far and I have created Graph Template for custom OID in Cacti, however I always add the OID manually (I also have to find the specific OID in /interface wireless registration-table print & /interface wireless registration-table print oid), which does not seem to be comfortable way, if someone is thinking about graphing signal for all the connected stations.

From time to time I am thinking of creating Data Query Template for it however you cannot use normal way of templating (as it was mentioned some time ago by several forum members, specially user "mojiro" may know a lot about it) because each station cannot be identified by one number (it is set of numbers made from MAC address and interface index). Maybe some playing with parsing would help, but I have no results to offer so far.

ianek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello,
please cant oyu describe me little how did you made this ?
I tried to graph one oid ( got oid number from print oid, used generic oid template ) and i'm getting in cacti log file error unknown data : result : U.
my email is : ianek@mpclick.cz
Thanks

Jan