Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kafedzhiev
just joined
Topic Author

WIFI - Poor Performance on RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Dear all,

I'm kinda of a newbie with the Mikrotik configs. If you anyone could help me figure out why I have performance issue with my config I would be very grateful.

The topology is as follows:
AP > CRS326 > RB3011 > Internet
I have a line of 100Mbps from my ISP.

Machines (Physical or virtual) connected to CRS326 are getting speeds to the outside world between 75 and 100Mbps.
Devices (Several tested as Laptops, Mobile Phones etc) connected to the AP get top speed of 30Mbps on the 2GHz Band. The issue is persistent, but it wasn't the case when I installed and configured the device. Since then small changes are being made as MGMT VLAN config. I've faced the same issue once before (the Mikrotik had default Router config) when I reset the config with "no default" and configured the device the issue was gone.

I do not see any CPU issues. I have around 10 devices connected. Speed tests are performed with single device connected.

Here's my Mikrotik AP Config:
# apr/05/1970 04:40:53 by RouterOS 6.44.5
# model = RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD
/interface bridge
add name=Bridge-LAN vlan-filtering=yes
/interface vlan
add interface=Bridge-LAN name=MGMT-vlan9 vlan-id=9
/interface list
add name=WAN
add name=LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=QUERTY supplicant-identity=""
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n disabled=no installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name=wlan2g security-profile=QUERTY ssid=KAF2Ghz
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac disabled=no installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name=wlan5g security-profile=QUERTY ssid=KAF5Ghz
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=Bridge-LAN interface=ether1
add bridge=Bridge-LAN interface=wlan2g pvid=30
add bridge=Bridge-LAN interface=wlan5g pvid=30
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=none
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=Bridge-LAN tagged=ether1 untagged=wlan2g,wlan5g vlan-ids=30
add bridge=Bridge-LAN tagged=Bridge-LAN,ether1 vlan-ids=9
/interface list member
add interface=wlan5g list=LAN
add interface=ether1 list=LAN
add interface=wlan2g list=LAN
/ip address
add address=10.9.9.3/24 interface=MGMT-vlan9 network=10.9.9.0
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=10.9.9.1
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set ssh port=2222
set api disabled=yes
set winbox address=10.9.9.0/24
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=none
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=none
/tool mac-server ping
set enabled=no
[code]

Kafedzhiev
just joined
Topic Author

Re: WIFI - Poor Performance on RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 pm

After much struggle in changing cables, configs and ISPs trying to find out where's the issue is with no success.

I've placed different ISPs with up to 300Mbit/s speeds, the AP will not go over 65Mbits on 5Ghz and over 40 on 2.4Ghz regardless of the config, ISP speed, signal interference.

Both reseller and vendor specifications clearly state up to 900Mbits.(even the wireless standard states that)
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPG-5Ha ... estresults
Last edited by Kafedzhiev on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm

Indeed it is difficult to configure wireless properly, it requires a steep learning curve. From your configuration I see a lot is either wrong or missing.
Beside, your firmware is outdated, you will get much better performance on the LTS (stable has some problems with the RB3011).

For the 5G radio please try this:
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country=[insert your country] disabled=no frequency=5500 mode=ap-bridge rate-set=configured security-profile=Query ssid=KAF5Ghz station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
Besides, don't (ever) use WPA/PSK, only use WPA2/PSK (with AES only).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WIFI - Poor Performance on RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD  [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 am

After much struggle in changing cables, configs and ISPs trying to find out where's the issue is the only logical conclusion is - THIS IS SHITTY WAP!

I've placed different ISPs with up to 300Mbit/s speeds, this AP will not go over 65Mbits on 5Ghz and over 40 on 2.4Ghz regardless of the config, ISP speed, signal interference.

Both reseller and vendor specifications clearly state up to 900Mbits.(even the wireless standard states that)
Calm down. You didn't look at the proper data to understand. Your device is set up for 20 MHz, you did not specify the frequency even, no regulatory domain, no country.
Well the 802.11 standards set this MCS table (mcsindex.com) as theoretical maxima for the wireless communication. (This is NOT brand or device related, this is the wifi as it is designed and standardized.)

2GHz can support up to 802.11n (wifi 4) standard (yellow HT MCS), 5GHz in MT can support up to 802.11ac (wifi 5) standard (green VHT MCS)
1 spatial stream or 2 spatial streams depends on the client device. A smartphone is typical a 1 spatial stream (1 antenna) device.
As said there is no bandwidth specified, so we have 20 MHz. Your max PHY rate here is 144 and 173 Mbps, but probably only 72 and 86 Mbps.(single stream device or connection)
Overhead for 802.11 is between 60% (fast rates) and 25% (slow rates). So it is common to take half the raw interface PHY speed as data rate in 1 direction.
It's half of this again if it is bidirectional.
So 65Mbps and 40 Mbps unidirectional is perfectly normal with this setup.

In a proper setup (cfr @erlinden above) you get 390Mbps out of the 5 GHz (80 MHz bandwidth, free channels, 2 spatial streams, 866 Mbps PHY rate.), and 80 Mbps out of the 2 GHz band (20 MHz, free channel 1,6 or 11, 2 spatial streams, 144Mbps PHY)
Klembord-1.jpg
To investigate your real connections, act as here: it is based on the "registration" values: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=171609#p839124
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kafedzhiev
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:28 pm

Thank you for your help and clarifications (explanations ). Apparently there are quite a lot of Networks around me.
After fine tuning (channel etc.) I was able to get up to 65Mbps on 2.4 which was basically the problem.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:28 pm

On the speed side, I see that this discontinued model had a fairly robust 5ghz speed statement of 1300Mbps and a 2.4ghz speed of 300Mbps.
Often vendors will combine the two and tout Speeds on Router of 1600Mbps.
Its pure marketing crap.
Those are combined two way speeds and thus right off the bat one can divide by two.
Then there are losses in wifi due to interference, obstructions etc, never does one have an ideal setting.
Thus use the 1/3 rule to figure out what speeds one way speeds up or down, anybody should reasonably get.
1300x1/3 = 433Mbps on your 5Ghz network and
300x1/3= 100Mbps on your 2.4Ghz network.

If you are getting above those one is doing really well.
In very basic terms,
5Ghz also becomes weak through a wall (no longer useful for streaming video) and not useful at all past two walls
2.4Ghz maintains a strong signal through one wall and is still useable through two walls.