Community discussions

MikroTik App

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik HAP AC2 - unable to get 867 Mbit/s on 5 Ghz - LOCAL network

Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:23 am

Hello!
I'm using the MikroTik HAP AC2, latest available stable OS, default settings for 5Ghz Wifi Network.
Unfortunately, I'm only getting 300 mbps connection, instead of 867 mbps - see attachment. Over LAN i get 1 Gbps.

My Laptop WiFi supports 1gbps network over wifi (Lenovo Ideapad 5, wifi adapter intel wifi 6 ax200 160mhz, running WIndows 10).
I need the full speed on 5Ghz because the 300 mbps connection is a serious bottleneck for file transfer between my laptop and my NAS storage, connected to a gigabit LAN to the router.

I would like to apologize for my nooby request. I've never been an advanced user in RouterOS. I would provide any additional information that my be needed.

Thank you very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: MikroTik HAP AC2 - unable to get 867 Mbit/s on 5 Ghz - LOCAL network

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:14 am

Are you sure you're connected to the 5Ghz? You can check on the Mikrotik under Wireless / Registration (using Winbox)
Or CLI ..
/interface wireless registration-table print

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:22 am

Sure your WiFi nic supports AC? Sounds to me like a 802.11n dual stream. Or did you set the hAP to n only?

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Thank you both for the replies.
I'll check later today the router setup and I will post my feedback.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm

The spec for the HAP AC2 quotes 300meg as the maximum speed on 2.4Ghz. I bet that's what it is. Google finds a few posts about issues with 5GHz on Lenovo laptops, hopefully it finds the solutions as well. Quick check you could disable 2.4GHz on the router.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 pm

Yes, make sure you connect to 5 GHz (you might use a different SSID for WLAN2).
Use "onlyAC" . Set the frequency yourselves (no auto)
Check Wireless Registration table for RX/TXrate, must be something like "867Mbps-80MHz/2S/SG"

And be prepared for the reality. Wifi speed is not like ethernet speed.

Wifi speed 867Mbps is the "interface data rate" not the payload data rate.
Wifi overhead is around 50%, even much higher for 867Mbps speed.*
All AP-SSID, even when idle, lose airtime with the slow (6Mbps) beacons every 100ms
Getting MCS09 (top ac) encoding, requires a strong and clean wifi signal. So this works only relative close to the AP.
Interference is always a possibility, and will cause retransmits and lower MCS encoding (= lower interface data rate)
Wifi is half-duplex. Only one in the neighborhood can transmit at a time.
TCP requires ACK packets (opposite direction, small but with huge overhead)

So the expected payload data rate is around 390Mbps for unidirectional UDP, at 867Mbps interface rate.*
1 Gbps ethernet can go till 928Mbps in full duplex (bi-directional), even more with jumbo frames.

And now you are only at 300Mbps interface rate, with an expected payload rate of somewhere around 180Mbps.*

* : A-MSDU and A-MPDU aggregation is an important factor to reduce overhead.
Last edited by bpwl on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks everybody!
I performed configuration reset, and it seems to work now. What I find strange, is that I'm getting 867 only when I place my laptop right next to the router. Otherwise the speed varies significantly.

Below I'm sending my current setup and NAS Drive read/write speeds (laptop placed right next to the router).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Yes, make sure you connect to 5 GHz (you might use a different SSID for WLAN2).
Use "onlyAC" . Set the frequency yourselves (no auto)
Check Wireless Registration table for RX/TXrate, must be something like "867Mbps-80MHz/2S/SG"

bpwl, many thanks for the detailed explanation. Sorry for not being able to apply this earlier and provide my feedback.
- Yes, I connect to 5Ghz and I'm using different SSID for WLAN2
- I set "band" to only AC
- See attached Wireless Registration Table - mbps are not static and vary all the time...
- Frequency is 5180
- I set channel width to 20/40/80/Ceee - Is this a good idea?
- I put a check on all eight AMPDU Priorities (from 0 to 7) - Is this a good idea?

I also measured the effective speed via an android app - fastest speed is right next to the router, while the others are random spots in the house.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks everybody!
I performed configuration reset, and it seems to work now. What I find strange, is that I'm getting 867 only when I place my laptop right next to the router. Otherwise the speed varies significantly.

Below I'm sending my current setup and NAS Drive read/write speeds (laptop placed right next to the router).
It is jormal for you to get 867mbps datarate. Your laptop wireless card seem to support 2 streams with max 160mhz channel width. While the hap ac2 supports 2 streams too, but it only supports 80mhz channel width. So 867mbps is the expected outcome.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 am

OK. Your wifi spectrum in the room is disturbed somewhat.

RX rate is almost at the MAX speed (MCS08. See http://mcsindex.com/)
In the TX rate the AP was not able to communicate with the 2 streams , only 1S. Is a sign of a distorted or disturbed signal (might have a too strong TX power set in the AP)
(-40 dBm is a very strong signal, -30 dBm can saturate a receiver)

Now you know where to look! And add the TX/RX CCQ column for the signal quality, should be 95% and above.
Rates only come after enough traffic has passed. Before that the numbers are very unpredictable.
I hope the 5th device improves with traffic. The signal strength is excellent, but the CCQ might be very low if it remains low. A slow device uses more "air time" and blocks others!

I don't know the Wifi Sweetspots APP, but if that Spot 1 is a real measurement, then this is a problem. -6 dBm is enormous, even dangerous to human health. 100000 times stronger than normal. Even at a different frequency it is likely to interfere. Please use "Freq Usage" and "Snooper" to check for the spectrum around. It is probably not a real signal measurement.

Out of the box, there are no mangle rules to change the priority, so A-MPDU for priority 0 is used all the time. Setting the others is OK. But should not be done for voice (6 -7) as this is not high volume but delay and jitter sensitive. WMM is needed to activate the priority queues. And own mangle rules are needed to set the priority, or all is priority zero !

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Try router in different environment, for example at work or at friends house. And can you post APs TX power?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:05 pm

867 is advertised two way transmission.

So lets start with reality! For one way transmission Divide by TWO (2).
Second one has normal propagation losses, compounded by walls and their materials and plain ole distance.
Thirdly there may be interfering electronic devices, wiring, lights etc.
Fourthly there may be other Access Points crowing the airspace.
and probably many others......................

The rule of thumb I use is the 1/3 rule for a starting point of expected throughput with Line of Sight.
Thus 867/3, please look at 289 Mbps as what you might reasonably expect to get in a one way scenario at home.

ObiDanKenobi
just joined

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I have the same issue as the OP, it seems that the laptop card (Intel 8265) cannot connect on 2 antennas for TX, only for RX resulting a 433/866 connection with laptop at 1m from the router. The channel 0/1 for RX/TX are on (in the HT tab), I tried with couple of different TX power (10dbm, 13dbm, 17dbm, 21dbm) in the "all rates fixed" mode. No matter what I do, it does not connect to the second antenna.

Any advice would be welcome.

Dan
Last edited by ObiDanKenobi on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobromyr
just joined

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:01 pm

I have the same issue as the OP, it seems that the laptop card (Intel 8265) cannot connect on 2 antennas for TX, only for RX resulting a 433/866 connection with laptop at 1m from the router. The channel 0/1 for RX/TX are on (in the HT tab), I tried with couple of different TX power (10dbm, 13dbm, 17dbm, 21dbm) in the "all rates fixed" mode. No matter what I do, it does not connect to the second antenna.

Dan
Choose "No SMPS" is MIMO power save mode on Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

Auto SMPS (default): The client decides automatically what SMPS mode to apply depends on different conditions.
Dynamic SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active. The access point (AP) must send request to send (RTS) packet to trigger the client to wake the sleeping radios/antenna before sending MIMO packets.
Static SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active and the AP cannot send MIMO packets to the client.
No SMPS: The client always keeps all antennas active and the AP can send MIMO packets to the client.

babhishek
just joined

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:28 pm

Dan
Choose "No SMPS" is MIMO power save mode on Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

Auto SMPS (default): The client decides automatically what SMPS mode to apply depends on different conditions.
Dynamic SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active. The access point (AP) must send request to send (RTS) packet to trigger the client to wake the sleeping radios/antenna before sending MIMO packets.
Static SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active and the AP cannot send MIMO packets to the client.
No SMPS: The client always keeps all antennas active and the AP can send MIMO packets to the client.

perfect - this works - auto smps to be changed to no smps.
on an intel ax201 wifi 6 card, fyi.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:30 am

Dan

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ducts.html