Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mikrotikate
just joined
Topic Author

Unlock Audience Frequencies - EU Version

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 am

Hello, i have just acquired an Audience router ( very nice package by the way) but to be honest with you i am considering returning it.

I needed a mikrotik solution that had two 5ghz radio's and placed a bet on the audience....
I have 3x hAP AC connected using a wireless bridge on 5Ghz in-home with frequency set to a superchannel frequency on the 4,9Ghz spectrum ( free of interference and more reach )
I wanted the audience to extend this bridge with one of it's 5Ghz radio's.

Now i realized that the frequencies are factory locked in all wlan interfaces, and none support spectral-scan nor spectral-history.

Can the frequencies be unlocked like any other Mikrotik router?
I bought the Audience in the premise that it would be possible to customize it like any other Mikrotik router.

Kind of frustrated with the Audience at this point.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.

FurfangosFrigyes

Re: Unlock Audience Frequencies - EU Version

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm

The frequencies are loked because of the shared antennas. The two 5GHz RF output cause trouble if the emmitted power is on the same freqency at the same time.

The two 5GHz range is not overlapped so you can select the right interface for the requested frequency without any trouble or disturbancies.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Disregarding the question that using 4.9GHz might possibly be very illegal, yes, specfically, the audience has frequency filters, to improve functionality between the two 5GHz cards

Mikrotikate
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks for both replies.
The frequencies are loked because of the shared antennas

That makes sense, thanks.

Had i suspected that before hand however, i don't think i would have bought the Audience to begin with.

By the way, i am using the 4.9Ghz network indoors only so i guess it's not a problem.
I have found that 4.9 Ghz works the best for me for wireless game streaming as it is completely free of interference.

My other possibility was to buy the RBM33G and buy two 5Ghz separate cards, wires and enclosure and just configure them to the desired non-overlapping frequencies.
Or just a 4th hAP AC wired to the third one to give me that extra 5Ghz network.

I guess i can do that with the Audience, but will force me to change the 4.9Ghz network to a more common frequency.
Not quite so good...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:19 pm

By the way, i am using the 4.9Ghz network indoors only so i guess it's not a problem.
I guess it gives you better chance to not get caught and punished, compared to if you'd be using it outside. :) But it would still be wise to check local regulations, how much (il)legal it is and how big trouble it can be if it's not allowed.