MikroTik App

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Best way to setup "wireless-uplink" for access points without wired connection

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 am

Hi!

I need to have some access points, that do not have a wireless uplink to bring wifi signal so some "low-density"-corners.

What do you think, is the best way to configure this?
My access points send out 4 SSIDs as virtual APs. Should I do WDS on everyone, or configure the "non-wired" AP as station on one band and as AP on the other band?
Is there any "smooth" config, that preferes cross-band-repeating?

Thank you for your help!
Stril

bpwl
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Best way to setup "wireless-uplink" for access points without wired connection

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 am

Mikrotik wiki says, and this is also my experience, the "Ap bridge"- "Station-bridge" connection is preferred over WDS. (.. unless you need the WDS interface for filtering traffic)

Are you using DFS frequencies? Then the "station-bridge" wlan should be the physical interface in those access points, the SSID's for clients can be on the virtual WLAN's. REASON: The "station bridge" will follow the DFS frequency hop of the uplink AP when needed. The SSID's will use that same frequency.

Of course the cross-band repeating is better for performance. Then you are even free to use "nv2" if the "AP-bridge"/"station bridge" connection is rather disturbed.

The config is very simple .... all interfaces as ports of one bridge in the AP. A DHCP client or IP address on the bridge for management connection.

The button "Repeater Setup" in WinBox would create a "station pseudo bridge + AP bridge" on one interface. This is not what you want. "Pseudo bridge" has many limitations and should only be used when connecting to a non-Mikrotik AP.