Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

illiniwireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

clients won't associate

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:34 am

I had some problems with getting clients to connect with Ubiquiti cards and a cm9 but I have tried a senao 8602 and still have the same issues. Disable then enable many times to get clients on and what is strange is the ap that I replaced was a tranzeo with an atheros radio (capable of g). Although I will tell that my clients have a better connection since the change it would be even better if I didn't have to worry about power failures or needing to change settings on the interface and not being able to get clients back on in a timely fashion. Please help us with this problem Mikrotik.

I really love your products and want to keep using them.

Thanks

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: clients won't associate

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:24 pm

You have to include more detailed description about the problem,
at least log information when clients are unable to connect,
wireless interface configurationl.
It is quite hard to determine the problem from the current description.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:08 am

so you are saying that you had a Tranzeo with an Atheros chipset that DID NOT have this association problem, but when you take a Mikrotik with an Atheros chipset is DOES have the association problem?
hmmmmm.

to sergejs
You have to include more detailed description about the problem,
at least log information when clients are unable to connect,
wireless interface configurationl.
It is quite hard to determine the problem from the current description.
there is an entire post that was locked for some reason, the problem was never resolved.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15647

I hope and pray that you are willing to help

illiniwireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 am

Surfnet that is corect. Ubiquiti is going to send me 2 xr2 cards to try that have different settings on the eprom to see if it helps. They say that atheros cards don't like noise as well as prism but they can help with it. I was also lucky enough to have Gene Hill stop by and do a capture of what is happening when this takes place and from what he could see the access point still thinks the clients are associated when there not. This really looks like a driver problem but it is hard to tell. I just put up another AP because of lightning damage and decided to try the senao 8602 to see if it worked right but it didn't. However the mikrotik ap has better pings to the clients than the tranzeo had which is a plus. Apperently it has to operate somewhat different or csma would still cause me to have low throughput in this location due to competition having ap's all over the place. Ever since tranzeo switched to atheros on there ap's it has been bad. If there are others around you with wireless you will be sure to have throughput problems and high ping times however not reconnect problems when changing channels or other things of this nature. I will post my findings on the xr2 cards as soon as possible. And yes this has to be fixed because if power is down long enough to kill my battery backup or I need to change channels your customers may be off line for 20 minutes trying to get them back. Mikrotik posted that the problem is with the clients. I hope not because I have close to 400 of them.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:42 pm

8602 still has an Atheros chipset. The older 2511 has a prisim chipset.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:28 pm

8602 still has an Atheros chipset. The older 2511 has a prisim chipset.
you are correct and the problem persists with an 8602.
To repeat again to make this clear.

this happens with any Atheros Chipset.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 am

So... I'm getting ready to roll out another repeater tomorrow.

Would it be wise to arm a 532a with a SR2 AND a 2511 and run the Atheros CPE on the SR2 and the Tranzeo boxes on the 2511?

What are the downsides of using the 2511? I understand it only has 23dbm, no power settings, no a/b antenna selector, no compression, and I can't scan with it. Anything else I should know?

I have about 50 Tranzeo CPE's on the shelf and as much as I'd like to use all Atheros CPE's I can't afford to lose the 50 radios I have on the shelf.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:29 am

Atheros CPEs are fine, this problem occurs when you have lots of prism clients, and an atheros AP. So if you are all atheros, or at least most atheros, you should have no problem.