Community discussions

MikroTik App

stary
just joined
Topic Author

Adding and access point

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:37 pm

I have my basic Mikrotik Router RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT with dual wi-fi (2GHz and 5Gz) networks and everything works ok.
I'd like to add an additional access point for the upper floor since the wi-fi signal coming from my router becomes there very poor.

So I bought a Mikrotik wAP ac ( RBwAPG-5Hac T2HnD ) and I connect it with an ethernet cable to the port 5 of my main router (which supports POE).

I’d like to setup that wAP will have both wi-fi networks as the main router has (with same SSID and password), and get DHCP from my main router, so the user will be automatically switched to the better wi-fi (the main router or wAP) when he comes to the zone of bad signal from one of the wi-fi.
I also wanted that the wAP is just inside my main LAN (for example 192.168.10.xxx). So if my main router is 192.168.10.1 and DHCP pool is 192.168.10.100-192.168.10.254, it makes sense to me, the wAP should have a local IP 192.168.10.2.

I guess I need setting the wAP as a bridge.

What would be the optimal configuration of the wAP – can you please give me an information about some manual if exist about it or point me to some similar discussion.

Thanks!