Community discussions

MikroTik App

Etherwizard
just joined
Topic Author

Set wireless AP to be connected to a Mikrotik

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:19 am

Hi all,
I have a cloud router switch, i have a isp provided router (currently using as core router for home network)

I want to set the isp router to simply provide wireless and have it connected to my mikrotik on some port. I want the mikrotik to become my core router.

I currently have my mikrotik configured for PPPoE and it works, but this router does not have wireless.

How can i connect my wireless router to my mikrotik but have the mikrotik provide lan connectivity and have a witeless ap connected to it.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks all

krafg
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Set wireless AP to be connected to a Mikrotik

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 pm

You can't, but you can ask for your ISP If they can configure the router as Bridged and disable Wireless (both bands). If yes, attatch a Mikrotik wireless device to your CRS and manage your own wireless connectivity.

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Set wireless AP to be connected to a Mikrotik

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 pm

It depends on the ISP router, can you let us know the make and model? Most home routers have all LAN Ethernet and wireless bridged together, then a separate Ethernet or DSL port for the Internet. If that's the case all you'd have to do is connect one of the LAN ports to your Mikrotik, switch off DHCP on the ISP router, and possibly change it's IP address if that conflicts with the Mikrotik. Unless the ISP has really locked the router down, I'd expect this to be pretty straightforward.