Community discussions

MikroTik App

omarraza
Topic Author

which is good for access point (AP) LHG5 or SXT 5HnD ?

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:21 pm

Hello Guys,
I have a question, I want to setup Point to Point (PTP) connection between LHG5(24.5dBi ) and SXT 5HnD(16dBi), but I don't know which is very good I should choose as access point and which one as receiver to get high performance throughput? my distance is between those two points is 1.5 KM! what is your suggestion for me.
I appreciate your helps.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: which is good for access point (AP) LHG5 or SXT 5HnD ?

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Neither, I would look at this puppy.
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire_nray
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 am

Device type doesn't matter when deciding which one to set up as AP and which one client. It's the amount of interference each can suffer and the one with more interference should be configured as AP. Most of vital tasks (such as channel selection, flow control, etc) is performed by AP, client just follows AP. So it's AP which should "see more of surrounding world" to make more qualified decissions.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 am

Well the person did ask for high performance and the product I noted is basically the wifi equivalent of running an ethernet cable between the locations SO why blather on about client this and client that (I just about fell asleep) ;-PPP

In any case, no person in their right mind (you must be left handed LOL) would consider using a pt to pt scenario as anything but pt to pt. In other words at the receiving end there should be a second radio connected to distribute wifi locally NOT the same device receiving the pt to pt connection. Jeez, dont they teach these sexperts anything.

Thats the beauty of the 60hz gear, you transfer the gigiabit signal to an ethernet port coming out of the receiving unit, for use into a switch other access points you name it for what...........yup LOCAL FRIGGEN distribution. (remind me to ask Mrs MKX to check for an aneurysm.)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:51 am

@anav, while your opinions are almost right most of the time, you're assuming OP is trying to build a short-range link (which he might or might not). OTOH I'm assuming OP already has got the two devices he described and I'm trying to aide him with his particular problem. And even with "your solution", one of devices in pair is acting as AP and another is acting as client even if a pair of devices are actually used as PtP link. That kind of behaviour is inherent to 802.11 (or any other TDD technology for that matter),

And no, imaginary traffic direction (if there is some "vertical" direction at all, this could well be some LAN-to-LAN "horizontal" interconnect) has nothing to do with L1 setup. Just as WAN interface is not something special for a router (apart from shorter mask for destination reachable through that interface).
BR,
Metod

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 am

Device type doesn't matter when deciding which one to set up as AP and which one client. It's the amount of interference each can suffer and the one with more interference should be configured as AP. Most of vital tasks (such as channel selection, flow control, etc) is performed by AP, client just follows AP. So it's AP which should "see more of surrounding world" to make more qualified decissions.
Well for me to manage PtP's at a very remote location, the decision is based on my remote connection to the network. As the client follows the AP in many settings, I want the AP at my "remote connected" side of the link. Changing channels and setting DFS channel lists is on the always reachable side, and as the client side is set to "nv2 nstreme 802.11" mode, switching between modes is easy, ... the AP selects and the client follows. The possible reason for turnaround of the roles are "radar detects" and in my case avoiding "false positive radar detects", which trigger the 1-minute DFS radar detect interruptions.

60GHz is now on my shopping list with the Cube 60G ac and its 5 GHz fallback but for shorter distances (<500m, marketing numbers are always optimistic). High in the mountains there is quite some bad weather and snowfall.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi bwpl let me know how the cube 60s Work out. I have a similar need, house to dock area in the order of 150 metres and this would be ideal if stable.

omarraza
Topic Author

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 pm

thanks.