Community discussions

MikroTik App

Maggiore81
Topic Author

Issue with ALEXA and GOOGLE HOME

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Hello
we have a big issue with a lot of ALEXA and GOOGLE MINI devices.

We use a variant of MT wifi router at customer's home.
this is the wireless conf.

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=protetto supplicant-identity=""
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode band=2ghz-b/g/n country=italy disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto hw-protection-mode=rts-cts max-station-count=50 mode=ap-bridge radio-name=myisp \
security-profile=protetto ssid=mycompany_ftth_xxx wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=italy disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto hw-protection-mode=rts-cts max-station-count=50 mode=ap-bridge \
radio-name=spadhausen.com security-profile=protetto ssid=mycompany_ftth_xxx wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled

We use standard WPA2-AES

I cannot understand which is the problem.
Sometimes the ALEXA doesn't see the network at all.
If I use a plain tplink or netgear router, they works.

I Tried with the latest long-term.
HAP AC2
HAP AC3
HAP AClite
HAP lite
all the same issues.

someone have hints?
Dott. Elia Spadoni
---
Network Administrator
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCINE, MTCWE, MTCSE
Spadhausen Internet Provider
Ravenna, ITALY
http://www.spadhausen.com

WeWiNet

Re: Issue with ALEXA and GOOGLE HOME

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Two things. Alexa and Google need to talk to their cloud servers. Make sure nothing in your firewall blocks that.
Else they say they can not connect... (even if they got an IP from the Wifi router).

Then I never ever would change the "advanced" Wifi interface settings for systems you do not know what clients are on there.
You do a couple of those changes (rts to self), noise immunity. I would not do that... (basically don;t touch settings that are not on the "general" or "wireless" tab!
The advanced settings are for closed environments PtP etc. where can can tune both ends (client and AP).

I use standard settings (default), and my alexas and casting devices never give me a problem ever...
You never know if your customer has an old 11b client, or a strange device that does not behave well on Wifi.
Default settings give highest chance for being able to work with ALL clients out there...maybe not highest performance but things do work...

At least this is my recommendation...
WeWiNet

MTCNA
I like a new challenge, I migrate to ROS7... :? or maybe I am just crazy :lol: !!!

Maggiore81
Topic Author

Re: Issue with ALEXA and GOOGLE HOME

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Hello
Thank you for your reply.
We use this base config for all the MT installation at home.
We recently had issues only on alexa and google home.

the issue with ALEXA is that it doesnt even see the network!
I tried 20mhz only, b g n protocol... RESET TO DEFAULT wifi interface, set just SSID + WPA2-AES key.
nothing. the device just dont see network.
sometimes some IOT devices see the network, try to connect (but I dont see anything on the log, or sometimes key exhange timeout) and they dont connect.
BOTH with our special config, or with the default config.
Dott. Elia Spadoni
---
Network Administrator
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCINE, MTCWE, MTCSE
Spadhausen Internet Provider
Ravenna, ITALY
http://www.spadhausen.com