Community discussions

MikroTik App

WeWiNet
Topic Author

LTE products need persistent data traffic counter (mandatory feature request)

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Chateau + ROS7 device should (I would even say MUST) get LTE data traffic counter that survives reboot.

1.) This is a consumer device, users always have limited data plan (even those uncapped get throughput limitations etc.) !
2.) if device reboots (which happens often on Chateau, specially with a beta release such as ROS7), all data counters are lost
3.) you can not expect from customers to run DUDE or SNMP etc.
4.) you can not expect from customer to implement scripts with L7 variables to have that data after reboot.
5.) Ideally possibility to allow to set data threshold, some limited action in case of reaching this (log for example), and date of month when to reset data counter
(you could also provide write-to-disk value programable, from 5min to 1day...)

We all know data counted on device is not 100% exactly what the carrier will bill you. But its good enough for 99.9% cases.
Writing the interface data every x minutes to FLASH memory won't kill the FLASH but would be very helpful for many customers.

So please make it happen... (and push this up if you agree with this ask!)
WeWiNet

MTCNA
I like a new challenge, I migrate to ROS7... :? or maybe I am just crazy :lol: !!!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE products need persistent data traffic counter (mandatory feature request)

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:16 pm

I understand ... In general you want save lte1 Tx/Rx bytes and sum them in one counter.
But.. lte1 interface can work for two differ sim slots at SXTR/LtAP
But... we must way to reset that data

Normal way is just use syslog, script and grab summary of disconnected lte, we can do it by own strategy.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
At vacation until 15.jan.2021

WeWiNet
Topic Author

Re: LTE products need persistent data traffic counter (mandatory feature request)

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:18 pm

SIB,

this device (Chateau etc.) is sold as a consumer product.
Which customer do you think will setup a sys log server to know his "rough" data consumption?

I have plenty of folks buying Huawei or other LTE router currently with COVID and remote/home office.
I can NOT recommend to them Mikrotik as a normal user will not be able to manage a Mikrotik device.

Knowing how much data you used is absolutely a must have!
WeWiNet

MTCNA
I like a new challenge, I migrate to ROS7... :? or maybe I am just crazy :lol: !!!

Larsa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm

I can NOT recommend to them Mikrotik as a normal user will not be able to manage a Mikrotik device.
Concur. MT it's more for the advanced home user I would say and in that sense Huawei is probably a more suitable choice for the regular home user especially when it comes to setup and administration.

Knowing how much data you used is absolutely a must have!
I'm not sure if any of the Huawei CPE's actually keeps data counters in persistent memory. (ie menu Settings-> Device Info)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:21 am

Huawei is for SOHO more then RouterBoard ? TRUE.
I say that I am a huawei user who works with re-firmware of all USB stick... until I go to RB who are my "out-of-box + scripting" = perfect device.

Huawei etc. have 1 sim slot, the summary of DL+UL as one big DATA TRANSFERED is normal and you receive button to clear them... but who go every mth to press it... no scipting, no cell lock and they maybe are if you re-flash them with some russian firmware and then you have root and .... still you must go deep alone in details.
We must do it internal by scripting or send some info outside and calculated it at remote. We should separate them per SIM ID number bcs some SXTR/LtAP have more sim slots. lte1 interface after reboot lose total summary and this counter are bad when we change sim slot.
Little summary, MikroTik way is not SOHO 100% but we can do many stuff insted.
source of image: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/tag/huaw ... -settings/

Policy of MikroTik is like, we works for more power user who can what they want. We are a linux GUI by Web or APP and we give you some scripting... .

Counting traffic at interface can be done per few ways. The easier is just grab that lte1 > Traffic tab Tx/Rx Bytes: Image
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:32 am

Chateau + ROS7 device should (I would even say MUST) get LTE data traffic counter that survives reboot.
Send that to support@mikrotik.com or https://mikrotik.com/support

and please check viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87565