Community discussions

MikroTik App

ColoCenter
just joined
Topic Author

wAP60Gx3 and Maximum clients

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Hello all,

I have a situation where i would like to connect more then 8 clients to a wAP60Gx3. In the past i checked with an wAP60G, it did work, but got a bit sketchy with disconnects.
Now this AP has multiple antenna's, would more then 8 clients work?

Other problem, all clients are within about the same angle of 20-25 degress, so would they all come in on the same antenna? Or would the beam-forming that is mentioned in the specs prevent this?

Many thanks for your input,
Alexander

ColoCenter
just joined
Topic Author

Re: wAP60Gx3 and Maximum clients

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Ok, i did some testing. Posting this for other people looking for this info.
The AP with new firmware(6.47.8) only allows 8 clients to be connected. When you pull the power from one client, the 9th waiting client suddenly connects. So a hard limit.

In earlier firmwares this wasn't the case, but with 9 clients connected, it all started to behave irratic. So this is better.

Problem is still that if one client disconnects unexpected(f.e. power-failure) all other clients are impacted for 1-2 seconds. A reboot command in the client seems to be more gentle and seems to have less/no impact.

marekm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: wAP60Gx3 and Maximum clients

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 pm

Just curious, what happens if there are 2 APs at the same location (different channels, shielded from each other) and 9-16 clients, all configured with the same SSID/password?
Will the client refused by one AP (because 8 clients were already connected) automagically try to connect to the other one (where some of the 8 slots are still free)?
Or will it try forever to connect to the strongest AP with no free slots, even if the other weaker AP with free slots is still strong enough?