Community discussions

MikroTik App

markthepadrone
just joined
Topic Author

LtAP with Verizon

Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but have been using Mikrotik for some time now. . .

My question is: has anyone used the LtAP with a Verizon certified LTE modem? I'm not locked into the LtAP but I like the form factor. The modem must be Verizon certified. No sim switching.

Thanks for any help.

jspool

Re: LtAP with Verizon

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:48 am

Approved / Certified device does not mean it will work without a SIM switch. The reason is that the IMEI's are loaded into the carriers database by the final device manufacturer not the modem manufacturer. The modem could be used in a phone, ATA, or Hotspot so the carrier would have no way of knowing how to treat the device until its IMEI is loaded and classified as a hotspot etc.

I use Quectel EC25-AF & the EM12-G modems with Verizon. While they are listed as certified & approved modules their IMEI not being loaded and classified prevents direct activation. Thus why you typically switch SIMs. Been down this road many times. I import modems directly from Quectel and they work quite well. Currently Sprint is the only US carrier that I know of that won't allow a SIM switch. If you use a MVNO you generally have much more flexibility as I don't typically see such restrictions on initial device IMEI for successful activation.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:05 am

jspool have right.
At some help project I participient in USA I can confirm:
Fibicom - no documentation, no proper support - not used.
Telit LM940/960 - works but not have a Cell Lock feature but works with Verizon & ATT & Sprint but T-Mobile at General firmware give Danied and it's hard do run without contact with TMobile Businnes channel.
Quectel EC25-AF & EC25-AFX & EP06-A & the EM12-G - they just work.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
At vacation until 15.jan.2021

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:22 am

Buy a static IP from VZW for the SIM... Then it will work in a Mikrotik radio.

But I gotta tell you... In the US Mikrotik Cellular radios don't support the most commonly used VZW frequencies.

So I don't bother anymore...
I just pony up for the Cradlepoint.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain