Community discussions

MikroTik App

Linwood
just joined
Topic Author

Why is this working? (Station->AP x 2)

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:36 pm

I have something working well, and do not understand why; I think I fail to understand some basics of wifi networking and would love advice.

Basic setup:

Home router OpenWRT, connected to a Netgear switch, in turn connected to two Engenius EAP1300 AP's, one at the front, one the back of the house.

A telescope (with NUC) has a RB952Ui-5ac2nD hAP ac Lite running 6.47.8; the plan is this provides a local network when I take the telescope to a remote site, but when at home it also connects to the home network.

So the hAP physical interface creates a regualr AP of type AP Bridge, and I can connect to it just fine, with its provided DHCP addresses. All normal, and not really part of the question.

On each of the EAP1300's I created a separate SSID called LinkAP on the 2.4 band, and on the hAP I created a virtual interface of type station with the same SSID, Channel and security settings, and fixed IP. It connected just fine, and I had connectivity -- great. All good and not surprising, other than how easy it was.

But then I decided to try the 5ghz band and see how much range I got outside, so I created another virtual interface in the same way (and corresponding 5ghz on the EAP's). It connected and worked fine.

Here's the thing -- I didn't disable the 2.4ghz band's connection. And I had them bridged to the same bridge interface. They share the same IP. They are both up at once, one connected to the front AP, one to the back AP (which share the same VLAN at layer 2 all the way through the switch in between).

Here's my question: Why do I not have a layer 2 loop? If these were all ethernet links I would be trying to stop a broadcast storm --OR-- I would have some ports disabled by Spanning Tree.

So I checked -- Everywhere I can see spanning tree it is on, and all ports show forwarding. The EAP's give no indication if they have STP. The switch between the EAP's indicates it does RSTP as does the hAP, and it is on.

Is wireless just different? Why is there no loop/storm?

On a related note: I found I had to manually match channels on the Station and AP's; is that always required? It can't be "auto" and figure it out?

Linwood

Linwood
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Why is this working? (Station->AP x 2)

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 am

Hmmm... so it doesn't work if the 2.4 and 5ghz connections are to the same AP. But when they are to two different AP's (on the same VLAN) it does work. I still don't get why that doesn't loop.