Community discussions

MikroTik App

mjl1297
Topic Author

Samsung tablet wifi connectivity issue...

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:00 am

It's been a while since I've been on here but I was hoping someone could help.

I am using a Microtik RB951-2n in my library and when I try to connect to it using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A model SM-T510 tablet, I experience one of the following two scenarios:

Set to DHCP--couldn't obtain an IP address

Set to Static--connects without internet

I'm at a bit of a loss. The tablet connects without issue to my Motorola MG7550 wifi. And none of my other devices are having issues connecting to the Microtik RB951-2n so it must be something between the router and the tablet.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. If more information is required please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Samsung tablet wifi connectivity issue...

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:50 pm

You would have to show us your configuration.

But it sounds like your WLAN might not be attached to a bridge.

mjl1297
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:11 am

Hi gotsprings and thanks for your reply.

Right now I can't post the config file as I am having issues logging in--forgot my password and am still looking for it.

As for whether or not it is set to bridge. I fail to see why that would matter if my Kindle Fire 5th generation connects without issue as does my Acer laptop running Win 7 Pro and my Asus netbook running XP home. My wireless Brother printer connects without issue as well.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that the Samsung Tab A is so new and the firmware on the Mikrotik router is so old. The thing is until I can login and check the version I can't even upgrade it if that option exists.

And my device is actually a RB951G-2HnD if that helps matters.

I have one other thing to add, I occasionally do connect with the setting on Static but it's dodgy at best with the connection dropping and then reconnecting at random all of which makes me think it is a driver compatibility issue.

mjl1297
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 am

Well I got in and I'm currently running 6.15 of the RouterOS!

I tried to update through Winbox and I got a "cannot connect to upgrade.mikrotik.com" message.

I'm convinced this is an incompatible driver issue and I just need to update the software. I had to update the Atheros driver on my Win 7 laptop before it would connect to the Mikrotik as I was having the same issue with it. That's my thinking anyway.

What's the latest version the RB951G-2HnD can run and is there anything else I might need to update?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:35 am

The original post didn't include that some devices work.

Moving on.

Download the latest stable and put it in files then reboot.

After that... Update routerboard firmware.

Then default the router.

You will have an open SSID to connect too. See if that works.

mjl1297
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:22 am

Actually I did mention in my first post that other devices were connecting to the Mikrotik router.

Why am I not able to upgrade through Winbox? Is it because the RouterOS is so old?

And when I look at the firmware version it says the current version is 3.17 and the upgrade is 3.16! Is that a false reading due to the fact the RouterOS is so out of date?

None of this is particularly reassuring. I've never had any issues with this router until now. That's why I've never updated the software.

Is there a way to roll back in the event the upgrade causes more problems than it solves?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:30 am

Net install can be used to load whatever routerOS.

As for not finding the update server?

I have seen it happen before. Sometimes it's external. Sometimes it's the router.

But a up date from files should get you going.

Or you could use net install to get it factory fresh.

mjl1297
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:39 am

Thanks again!

If all else fails I have my eye on this one--hAP ac²! :-)

Could probably do with an upgrade on that end of the house. I've been very pleased with my Mikrotik products so far.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Absolutely incredible routers. Use them for everything.

Wifi... Not so much. I get much better results with Ruckus Wireless.

mjl1297
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 am

After the upgrade all is well! My ancient software just needed a bit of freshening up. The Samsung tablet is the first relatively new electronic "toy" to come into my possession in a while hence the reason I haven't had any issues connecting before now.

Never heard of Ruckus Wireless but I'll file that away for future reference. Like their logo! :-)

Thanks again gotsprings for your time and attention!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:57 pm

You are welcome.

I have been pairing Ruckus Wireless with Mikrotik routers for almost 10 years now.

While I may use Mikrotik wireless here and their... I have been kicked in the teeth enough times to not use it in my commercial or high density projects.

I did a reporters bull pen in 2012. They only updated the wireless this year when they moved offices.

The job is located in Washington D.C. where the word Interference doesn't do it justice. You will see every channel just flooded with competing networks. But the Ruckus gear did the best at mitigating that.

There is a bar a few blocks away that has the same generation of WAPs. The point of sales guys rolled in with UniF--k waps and we're all cavalier about how well they work. Clients couldn't even connect. They ended up having to use the existing WAPs... From 2012... Because their brand new UniF--k waps couldn't handle the environment.