Community discussions

MikroTik App

foraster
Topic Author

HAP AC2 wireless client banned?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello,
I have installed some hap ac2 with AP and virtual APs.
Today I have found that one of the devices that connects to one of the virtual APs is getting banned:
error_banned.png
I have tried disabling temporaly the interface and enabling again, but the device keeps "banned".

Where is this ban list stored?

Later I have tried unselecting the option "Default authenticate" and including all expected devices in the list, but the logs keep informing me that it is banned.

EDIT: This hap ac2 has installed routerOS 6.47 (not 6.44.1) and has been running great for months
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by foraster on Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC2 wireless client banned?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:22 pm

No idea where to find the "banned list", nor how long it remains active (30 sec? 1 min ? ....)
You get in the banned list because of the repeated previous error.
Unfortunately "unspecified(1)= undefined reason" is not very helpful in knowing how to avoid the error. (Linux wifi reason codes can be found on-line, one specified "E.G. no SSID given")
Eliminate the error and you will not return to the banned list.

"Forget" the known network on the client device before retrying.

foraster
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks, after trying different solutions all morning with this issue I restarted the client and the error disappeared (it is an esp8266 board, will check it the following weeks if the error appears again)

foraster
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:32 pm

After a week de device has failed again.
Is there any setting in the Mikrotik that can be changed to minimize those errors? (hw retries, disconnect timeout, ...?)
The device had been working with this same router for over a year without any glitch.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Same reason in the LOG "unspecified(1)" ?
Question is, is it the MKT, or the esp8266 that fails in the connection process ? Or is it triggered by other RF signals?
Are there frequent disconnects? In Registration check: Uptime, TX rate (xxxMbps-yyMHz/nS/.GI) , the TX/RX CCQ and the ratio (TX frames/ TX HW frames).
Based on that you can try to either eliminate the disconnect cause or strengthen the connection persistence.
Root cause is a failing (re-)connection. Disconnects should not be a problem unless too frequent.(They are usually reason 3 or 8 (8 =station leaving AP for roaming))

https://aboutcher.co.uk/2012/07/linux-w ... son-codes/

foraster
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Indeed, same reason (unspecified(1)).
Thanks, I will try and check your advice.
I suspect there has been some external interference, because it has failed 7 days later.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 pm

FYI only.

I just saw here a lot of unspecified(1) errors, because someone used the wrong password for a WPA2/EAP/AES-ccm (Radius) protected SSID.
When also enabling tkip (not recommended for high speed) the error changes to "802.1x authentication failed".

foraster
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm

Thanks I take note of this behaviour. Until now it has not failed anymore (if it fails on january the 4th then it will be 7 days...)