Community discussions

MikroTik App

wpsd2006
just joined
Topic Author

Best placement for Cap AC in open building

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:43 am

Hi do anyone know how the wireless antenna in Cap AC shot it's wireless signal (2.4GHz)

I have an open building ( 12m wide x 42m length x 12m high ), wondering what is the best place to install single Cap AC to cover the area
I've been thinking of putting in front of the building that face the back of the building
Installed around 6m above ground

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best placement for Cap AC in open building

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:00 pm

I would say in the center of the area (ceiling mount) facing down..........

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:38 pm

6m above ground will be too high in my opinion.

wpsd2006
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:57 am

Yes I would like to do this, but the building is pointy one and doesn't have any horizontal beam. So I have to find second best placement.
Most of the user is in the front side of the building. In case if it is not enough I thought of just adding one at the front and one at the back
5m good ? The stuff inside the building is just a workshop and doesn't have any concrete or high partition, pretty much open space from 5m point of view :D

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:42 am

Yes I would like to do this, but the building is pointy one and doesn't have any horizontal beam. So I have to find second best placement.
Most of the user is in the front side of the building. In case if it is not enough I thought of just adding one at the front and one at the back
5m good ? The stuff inside the building is just a workshop and doesn't have any concrete or high partition, pretty much open space from 5m point of view :D
it all depends on your needs. You PHY speeds will be lower, maybe that will be enough for you..I suggest you to try one AP out.

EDIT: This is what i would do in those premises if I needed a good wifi, mounting them around 2-3m high on walls. Again, AP count can be adjusted to needs.
Ekrānuzņēmums 2020-12-23 104747.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wpsd2006
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 am

Hi thanks for the advice.

Yes on one of the building I have installed two AP in SE and SW around 4m above ground, with SE extend from SW AP.

I see some undesireable effect, the signal kind of bumping each other that cause some inteference in some part of the building. I use a signal range rule in capsman so if it is bad then kick the client and let the client choose next best signal.

While I can separate the channel, I need that feature for signal distinction between building, we have same 8 building like this adjacent to each other :(. And since I can only use 2.4Ghz ( many old device ) I only limited to 3 channel ( 1, 6 ,11 ) only, I think I'll reserve it for this.

This is why I try to put in the AP in West wall facing East, so as to not disturb the other building signal. The wall is shared and not that thick between building.

The above ground height is needed around 4m cause the West part is a tall door and I can only place it above the door.

Thats the theory though, I'll try to test it.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi thanks for the advice.

Yes on one of the building I have installed two AP in SE and SW around 4m above ground, with SE extend from SW AP.

I see some undesireable effect, the signal kind of bumping each other that cause some inteference in some part of the building. I use a signal range rule in capsman so if it is bad then kick the client and let the client choose next best signal.

While I can separate the channel, I need that feature for signal distinction between building, we have same 8 building like this adjacent to each other :(. And since I can only use 2.4Ghz ( many old device ) I only limited to 3 channel ( 1, 6 ,11 ) only, I think I'll reserve it for this.

This is why I try to put in the AP in West wall facing East, so as to not disturb the other building signal. The wall is shared and not that thick between building.

The above ground height is needed around 4m cause the West part is a tall door and I can only place it above the door.

Thats the theory though, I'll try to test it.
WiFi extension is not the greatest thing to do, if you can run wires. Quick advice.

I hope you adjust TX gain on APs. It is hard to say what is going on you premises, a proper spectral scan would be the best thing to identify issues, but if AP signal is issue then reduced gain will improve signal quality.

4m will be fine, most likely.

wpsd2006
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:53 am

WiFi extension is not the greatest thing to do, if you can run wires. Quick advice.
Yep we will always use wires. Unless it is to far away that I have to use point 2 point.
I hope you adjust TX gain on APs. It is hard to say what is going on you premises, a proper spectral scan would be the best thing to identify issues, but if AP signal is issue then reduced gain will improve signal quality.
I'm never do spectral scan, not sure how to do it. I know routeros have the function to scan, but to do it for an area does it mean we have to move around in that area to sampling the signal ?
my previous instalment is 5m but since nobody complain so I'm not sure about the effectiveness :D

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 am

Yep we will always use wires. Unless it is to far away that I have to use point 2 point.
I'm never do spectral scan, not sure how to do it. I know routeros have the function to scan, but to do it for an area does it mean we have to move around in that area to sampling the signal ?
my previous instalment is 5m but since nobody complain so I'm not sure about the effectiveness :D
On far away situations fiber optics would be he best solution, but I understand that it can be very pricey. If network speed and stability is good enough then why not to use P2P.

ROS scan will scan only WiFi signal, not real world RF issues on premises. So you will need proper scanner.

WiFi can be really bad and no one will complain, its all about requirements. For example, if you measure mobile internet quality you will see very bad quality, especially in urban areas at evenings, but no one is quite complaining about it. On phone that internet for Facebook is ok.