Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sigfa
just joined
Topic Author

Forwarding a specific port to a specific wireless network

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi, I need some help setting up my network. I don't have a lot of networking experience but I'm pretty familiar with computers so i'm hoping i can do this with some help.

Essentially I need to forward data from 1 specific port (eth10) on the router to a wifi signal (I want to keep my home wifi networks separate from this new wifi bridge) that will go over a wifi bridge to another router, can someone point me in the right direction?

I will write out my specific problem in case someone else has the same issue. Also it's kinda funny. I want to connect my internet TV box to my network so i can watch iTV. Seems simple enough. But the iTV box only has ethernet connectivity and it's impractical for me to lay an ethernet cable from my router to the iTV box. So i bought a mAP lite (great little device) that would serve as a wifi bridge to the iTV box. The issue is that my iTV provider has their modem configured so that port 1 = internet (currently connected to my router) and port 2 = iTV. So i'm thinking i will connect the iTV port on the modem to eth10 port on my router and then forward that port via wifi to the bridge router. I'm stuck on trying to forward the eth10 port to some new wifi signal (optimally it would be a hidden wifi network without a public ssid, maybe i can dedicate an antenna to it?).

I will try to visualize it a bit:
[internet provider modem] .......... [MT router]
[port 1 - internet] ---------- cable --- [port 1] ----wifi home network (2ghz & 5ghz)--- [end devices]
[port 2 - iTV] --------------- cable --- [port 10] ---wifi bridge -----------[mAP router]---cable---[iTV box]

Sigfa
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Forwarding a specific port to a specific wireless network

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 am

Fixed my issue by creating a virtual wlan with a hidden ssid then creating a bridge filter rule mapping eth10 to wlan3, both of those go through a separate bridge. Also had to enable multicast helper on my new wlan.
Last edited by Sigfa on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.