Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Anybody else experiencing DFS radar-detect problems the last few weeks ?

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 am

Anybody else experiencing DFS radar-detect problems the last few weeks ?

I have a tower site that is only a few hundred feet away from an FAA/Military 2+ million watt dual-band radar system. My equipment worked OK for years up until about two weeks prior to Christmas. We are now experiencing all kinds of issues which I suspect is radar DFS related. Strong signal on client and AP but almost zero CCQ and almost zero throughput. And what's strange, another WISP I know operating 18 GHz Trango back-haul links also started experiencing the same type of problems - strong signal but totally falls apart.

I am beginning to suspect the FAA/Military radar system has turned on some type of wide-band radar frequencies in many bands at the same time ( wide band radar ) or they went from 2 to 5 Million watts to 50 million watts ...

Anybody else in other parts of the country seen something like this ?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Anybody else experiencing DFS radar-detect problems the last few weeks ?

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:34 pm

I haven't had any problems with this, but here's a tip: What I would do is get some cheap Groove (the 802.11n version) and use spectral scanning to see the exact frequencies and bandwidths they're using. They could well be using just a part of the DFS band and so you can change the channel used.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm

I haven't had any problems with this, but here's a tip: What I would do is get some cheap Groove (the 802.11n version) and use spectral scanning to see the exact frequencies and bandwidths they're using. They could well be using just a part of the DFS band and so you can change the channel used.
I have been performing some spectral frequency scans with some of my devices in the 5 and 6 GHz bands. It's a hit and mostly miss method to verify radar is creating the problems.
FYI - when there is a greater than 2-Million watt multi-frequency wide-band military/faa radar system and multiple AM/FM broadcast towers only a few hundred feet away , everything you think you know falls apart. For example, another crew working on a near-by tower at the same location had their RF-monitors on their climber's gear show high RF energy fields , and as a result , they had to take a few days off from work.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:55 pm

For example, another crew working on a near-by tower at the same location had their RF-monitors on their climber's gear show high RF energy fields , and as a result , they had to take a few days off from work.
Well, that's the FAA's problem for using their multi-jigawatt radar in vicinity to those workers. I actually live in a city with skyscrapers less than a couple miles away from the gigantic airport and I'd assume that they tone it down to help keep the RF to safe levels.