Community discussions

MikroTik App

willianwrm
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with a simple wireless mesh

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Hello everyone :)

I have a hAP ac^2 and I'm planning on expanding my indoor wireless range. To do so I read about mesh network and decided to give it a try but I'm having serious problems with a single router (dual channel): when my cellphone (let's call it just device) decides to change the channel (5GHz to 2GHz or vice-versa) the mesh get buggy sometimes:

- device connects to wlan2, FDB shows on interface wlan2 as direct type (ok)
* signal gets lower, device decides to connect through wlan1
- connects to wlan1, FDB shows on interface wlan1 as direct type (ok), all working good
* some seconds later *
- wlan2 gets disconnected due extensive data loss (as expected)
- now FDB shows on interface wlan1 as outsider type (what?), device is now unreachable and has no access at all

I was using the version 6.46.8 (long-term) and now I'm using the 6.48 (stable).

Does someone has the same issue or knows what I could try? Thanks!

I attached my configurations regardless about the wireless and mesh configurations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

willianwrm
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problems with a simple wireless mesh

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:51 pm

For a better explanation to what happens: https://youtu.be/fcVxrLN6_mM at 00:02 the device decides that the wlan1 has a better signal and then connects to it; at 00:33 the wlan2 drops the device due to excessive data loss, mesh becomes outsider and the ping start to fail.

I did notice that this issue happens when the deauth packet (from wlan2) is not received and wlan1 is connected.

willianwrm
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problems with a simple wireless mesh  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:28 pm

Miraculously after adding a second mesh router the problems goes away: the device is still getting marked as outsider but the packets finds a way to it.

Meanwhile I found a bad solution for the problem (when there is only one router with two wireless interfaces):
- remove both wireless interfaces from the mesh
- create another bridge, disable STP (protocol mode: none), disable IGMP and DHCP snooping
- add both wireless interfaces to the bridge
- add the bridge to the mesh
Why is good: the router is now identifying "registered to other interface" correctly and not marking it as outsider
Why is bad: it's ugly and doesn't look like what mesh should be
I did some tests and this way the device changes from one wlan to another quicker than using only the bridge with RSTP.