Community discussions

MikroTik App

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Best point to point protocol

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm about to set up a short (50m) point to point link using two 5GHz SXT sq units.
Have done this before, but mainly over long distances (1-6 km) using the nv2 protocol. It works quite well. Not sure,however, if the nv2 protocol will give the best performance for this short distance, or if 802.11 may be a better choice. Any suggestions or recommendations?

-Olaf-

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best point to point protocol

Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pm

It depends on the RF signals around. With clean Line-of-sight and no interference 802.11ac will outperform nv2.
It's easy to prepare the setup to be able to switch between protocols.
Set the "station bridge" side to protocol "802.11 nstreme nv2" and prepare all security passwords.
On the "bridge" side then chose 802.11ac and check the registration for TX Rate, RX Rate and the CCQ. If CCQ is lower than 90% the signal is not clean and nv2 might help.
Otherwise try them all, and compare.
There is no need for WDS in this setup.

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Thanks.
Have set ut two SXT sq units and tested the protocols.
Speed and ping seems to be almost the same for 802.11, nstreme and nv2.
On nstreme I got some disconnects with the log message: lost connection, not polled for too long. Not sure why (have not worked with nstreme before).
Seems like setting the ap to 802.11 and nv2 and have the client accept both may be a good solution.
-Olaf-

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Whats wrong with the Cube setup MT has........... Short distance but the throughput is phenominal and doesnt crowd the 2.4/5 spectrum?
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

r00t

Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:17 pm

On 802.11n radios, nstreme seems to be best for p2p, high throughput and low latency. As long as channel is clean and without interference.
"lost connection, not polled for too long" means you have some interference on the channel and this really causes problems for nstreme.
nv2 is more robust, but also introduces additional latency (depending on frame length) and lower throughput (unless you set longer frame length, but then you get even more latency).

If you can find clean channel, use nstreme. If not, try nv2 if you can tolerate the extra latency.
Otherwise plain 802.11 with RTS/CTS may also be an option...

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:24 pm

anav...
Probably nothing wrong with the Cube setup. Don't know it....
My reason for using the SXT sq is that I have several of them avilable after un-installing a few "last mile" systems recently.
-Olaf-

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:39 pm

r00t..
Thanks for explaining.
I don't know anything about interference or available frequencies unil I get on-site. Will give nstreme a try then.
In my test setup I got speeds of around 80-90 Mbit/s when connecting to an external speed test site through the mentioned link and a 100Mbit fiber access. 802.11 and nv2 gave approx. same speed. Ping is around 6-8ms.

-Olaf-