Community discussions

MikroTik App

Acryli
Topic Author

LHGG LTE - Heatsink and M.2 adapter? Does it fit?

Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:43 am

Hello

I have some questions about the new LHGG LTE.
https://mikrotik.com/product/lhgg_lte6_ ... tn-gallery

It has an cat6 mPCIe modem. If I buy the LHGG I would probably want to change the mPCIe modem with an M.2 one. But since it has a huge front heatsink I'm asking me some questions.

1. Is the heatsink attached to the modem or only to the SoC/Marvell chip?

2. With this heatsink is it still possible to use a mPCIe to M.2 adapter or is there no room left anymore? (On the first LHG LTE the adapter fits since there is no heatsink)

3. One unrelated question. Is the mPCIe connector connected to an USB 3 or only USB 2 bus?

4. Are there any pictures of the inside of the LHGG?

Thank you!

(Do you think I could send a mail to Mikrotik's support to ask those questions? )

Schinigam
just joined

Re: LHGG LTE - Heatsink and M.2 adapter? Does it fit?

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:24 am

send, and if you received an answer, please send it here too

RogerWilco

Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 am

According to the specs, the LHGG uses a Marvell 88F3720 CPU with USB3.0 support: https://www.marvell.com/content/dam/mar ... 019-09.pdf

You might be better off emailing support and asking these questions. The heatsink part appears to be recycled from LHG XL 52 ac -- the modem in the LHGG is the same R11e-LTE6 as the SXT and LHG models which don't need a heatsink at all, just the thermal pad between the PCB and modem.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Acryli
1. Is the heatsink attached to the modem or only to the SoC/Marvell chip?
It's from down and up of module.

2. With this heatsink is it still possible to use a mPCIe to M.2 adapter or is there no room left anymore? (On the first LHG LTE the adapter fits since there is no heatsink)
Problem is with upper heatpad from cover. I not know it's easy to cut-out not needed material. This should be a foam.

3. One unrelated question. Is the mPCIe connector connected to an USB 3 or only USB 2 bus?
We don't know but probably 3.0

4. Are there any pictures of the inside of the LHGG?
You can see the m.2 not soldered pins at PCB, this mean the same PCB can have m.2 slot !
LHGGR-down-box — kopia.jpg
LHGGR-up-cover.jpg
LHGGR-up-cover2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acryli
Topic Author

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Thank you very much for the photos :)
Well the heatsink seems to be composed of 2 parts, so there is a way to do a custom thing :)
Do you have a better photo of the PCB? I wanted to check the traces that goes to the M.2/mPCIe to see if it's USB 2 or 3.

Yet one last question about the gain pattern in the datasheet.
Are those values for the signal that the antenna elements on the back side of the PCB can pick up and send to the modem over the coax cables, or are those values for the dish only???

I'm asking this because the graphic indicates that this antenna is ok for 3400-3800MHz signals of the new 5G and I find that a little bit strange that the radio elements on the back side of the PCB were already designed for such frequencies (since the first LHG version).

(Ok the LGH is not very good for the 700Mhz band, but anyway, still great for 5G),

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:46 am

*) MikroTik not show any 5G compability, we not have any news but clue like new device have at PCB m.2 pads, we know with m.2 adapter 502Q module works and Chateau will be in store with it etc.. but nothing about Gain/Freq for currect line of devices.
*) Low-Freq are week, true :( and some freq are better for SXTR insted LHG(G)R.

It's easy DIY tip to improve 2-3 speed/signals at LHG(G)R like... photo from USA :)
photo5046741514201442646.jpg

We will be testing mounting like at this video https://youtu.be/jUnnOqn3d8o?t=302 too :)
opera_gtMjtDas5s.jpg
What the people do...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.