Community discussions

MikroTik App

lozio84
just joined
Topic Author

How to set wlan for work with two different networks?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Hello everyone,
is there a way to store two different wifi networks on a rb HAP?
I mean .. I have a wifi network in one plant and a second wifi network in a second plant. I happen to have to move an RB HAP connected to a machine from one location to another.
I would like to allow the use of rb as a wifi client on the two networks without having to reprogram the wlan.
I tried creating a virtual wlan but the second does not connect if the first is not registered.
thanks

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to set wlan for work with two different networks?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm

Using a connect list with all the networks you want to connect to, might be an easy workaround.

See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=169032&hilit=map#p833474 (used for a mAP Lite that is used in many locations)

lozio84
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am

Using a connect list with all the networks you want to connect to, might be an easy workaround.

See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=169032&hilit=map#p833474 (used for a mAP Lite that is used in many locations)

It works perfectly!!
Thanks so much for the help!

lozio84
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 am

I am renting out part of my house, and I want to create a separate WiFi network for the tenants. I don't want them to have any access to our network. Can I connect two WiFi routers? My internet access is a fiber optics modem provided by the telephone company.

Of course, you can connect two wifi routers with different classes that have the modem as their gateway.
or you can create a virtual AP

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am

Multiple Wifi networks can easily be done in one hAP. Create (add, blue +) a virtual WLAN , with own SSID and security.

To separate the 2 Wifi networks you can either use VLAN's , or just start a second bridge with it's own DHCP server. (DHCP server on that extra WLAN might be a problem, not sure, but to be safe add it to the bridge) Add the new virtual WLAN to the new bridge port. In the firewall add a rule to deny access ( "drop forward") between the 2 LAN subnets. As the new bridge is not part of the LAN interface list, the tenants have no access to the hAP management.