Community discussions

MikroTik App

polymacin29
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik, thoughts and opinions?

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering your guys thoughts and opinions on MikroTik devices. The price seems to be more than right, but is their stuff too good to be true?

I wanted to pick up a router just to play around with it, I thought I would ask before hand about quality, security, etc.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik, thoughts and opinions?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:22 am

Hey all,

I was wondering your guys thoughts and opinions on MikroTik devices. The price seems to be more than right, but is their stuff too good to be true?

I wanted to pick up a router just to play around with it, I thought I would ask before hand about quality, security, etc.
Almost all Mikrotik devices are good/great

If you are looking for a starter Mikrotik router that can do almost everything - consider getting qty two : RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN -or- qty two hAP ac³

With these , you have the horse-power to do most anything well.

North Idaho Tom Jones

Smoerrebroed

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm

I wonder what kind of response you'd expect in a - wait for it - MIKROTIK forum.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:16 pm

I wonder what kind of response you'd expect in a - wait for it - MIKROTIK forum.
Re: I wonder what kind of response you'd expect in a - wait for it - MIKROTIK forum

Not all Mikrotik devices have the same CPU and memory. My previous post is a good starting place for some Mikrotik devices that have strong features.
It all comes down to what do you want/need , then find hardware/software solutions to fill the needs.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 pm

When looking at the product list, some will support hardware acceleration for IPSec. The cheaper products will make no mention of HW acceleration, in which case they won't have HW acceleration. They'll still support IPSec but it tends to max out the CPU.

Some users find that wifi sucks on Mikrotiks. Some users find that it works just fine. I gave up on Mikrotik when it comes to wifi.

For routing needs, vlan, QoS, VPN server (and more) I find it to be far better than alternatives such as SonicWall and Ubiquity.

As a small business tech, I can't learn all the command lines to everything I work on. Mikrotik has a windows based utility called Winbox that lets you configure everything. Cisco is hit and miss with what they give you out of the box for graphical user interface.