Community discussions

MikroTik App

cnokafor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

High latency from wireless ping

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:00 am

I have 16 RB951ui in a building, the building is linked via a fibre optic connection to the switch powering the devices.
If i plug a cable to any of the APs, i get a 1ms ping to the gateway and 80ms to the internet but when i connect wirelessly, ping to the gateway is about 200-600ms or sometimes more even when signal status on my wireless card is "excellent".

The channels on the AP are on auto frequency which i believe was meant to manage interference by auto selecting the free frequencies available.

what could be the issue here as wireless signal is very good everywhere in the building but moving data is very poor.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: High latency from wireless ping

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:50 pm

"auto" selection of frequency is usually a bad idea. The AP spends some short time in analyzing the RF spectrum around and then takes the channel with lowest traffic or energy at that moment. Might be a fully wrong selection, that is not corrected later.

Do the analysis yourselves. You have "Freq usage" and "Snooper" , and even spectral scan to look around for a while (10 minutes, half an hour, daytime - evening ....)
Then select the proper channel. On 2.4 GHz use 20 MHz bandwidth only, and only channel 1, 6 or 11. (Eg: 6 will interfere with 4-5-6-7-8)

(On 5 GHz select installation =any, use 40 MHz ( 20 MHz Ce) and select depending on your country/region, and decide if you can do it without DFS channels or weather channels or not.
You might be able to increase the 5 GHz bandwidth later.)

Wireless card "excellent" signal doesn't mean the connection is good. This is the reception from the (strong) AP. The reverse connection can be a problem. Battery operated devices transmit a weak signal. And full interference is still "excellent" signal for your device. Use the MT AP wireless "registration" for your analysis. (TX rate, RX rate, TX/RX signal, Signal to noise, TX/RX CCQ%)

But still 200-600ms is a lot for RTD. Anything special in the config ?