Community discussions

MikroTik App

mbrmik
just joined
Topic Author

wAP ac no IP on 5g

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 am

I have a setup with an Audience access point and one wAP ac, when I get in the area where the Audience has no reach anymore and it moves me over to the wAP due to this code
/interface wireless access-list
add authentication=no disabled=yes forwarding=no interface=wlan2 signal-range=-120..-80
add disabled=yes interface=wlan2 signal-range=-79..120
my android phone does not get an ip address. On the 2.4 frequency it does how ever. I do not really see the difference in configuration and why it works getting an ip on wlan1 but not on wlan2 on the wAP ac when moving between access points.

This is the full configuration of the wAP ac.
/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=yes name=BR1 priority=0xF000 protocol-mode=mstp vlan-filtering=yes
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] country=switzerland disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=cemcem_24
/interface vlan
add interface=BR1 name=BASE_VLAN vlan-id=99
/interface list
add name=BASE
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=cemcem supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=RED_PROFILE supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=switzerland disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge security-profile=cemcem ssid=cemcem wds-default-bridge=BR1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=BR1 frame-types=admit-only-untagged-and-priority-tagged ingress-filtering=yes interface=wlan1 pvid=10
add bridge=BR1 frame-types=admit-only-untagged-and-priority-tagged ingress-filtering=yes interface=wlan2 pvid=10
add bridge=BR1 frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged ingress-filtering=yes interface=ether1
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=BASE
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=BR1 tagged=ether1 vlan-ids=10
add bridge=BR1 tagged=BR1,ether1 vlan-ids=99
/interface list member
add interface=BASE_VLAN list=BASE
/interface wireless access-list
add authentication=no disabled=yes forwarding=no interface=wlan2 signal-range=-120..-80
add disabled=yes interface=wlan2 signal-range=-79..120
/ip address
add address=192.168.0.6/24 interface=BASE_VLAN network=192.168.0.0
/ip dns
set servers=192.168.0.1
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.0.1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Zurich
/system identity
set name=wAP_ac_e1
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=BASE
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=BASE

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP ac no IP on 5g  [SOLVED]

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:26 pm

There are two things you should check:
  1. any xSTP run on bridge causes quite some delay for bridge port to get enabled after it enters "running" state. For that reason its best to disable it unless you absolutely need it (e.g. your network topology is a ring-shaped for failovers).
    That being said: wireless interface is declared not running when it has no wireless clients connected. Which triggers xSTP after first client connects and delay can be long enough for wireless client to freak out. Setting disable-running-check=yes may help.
  2. on 5GHz there are DFS channels which are bound to constant channel monitoring not to interfere with radars. If radar signal is detected (or mis-detected), channel reselection is triggered and that takes time (up to 10 minutes for some channels). Log should show if it's happening.
    Related to that: you should set installation=any ... setting it to indoor triggers Mikrotik's misreading of standards and disables use of outdoor frequencies. Those are actually allowed for indoor installations as well ... DFS channels are mostly indoor-only so using installation=indoor makes triggering channel reselections more likely.

mbrmik
just joined
Topic Author

Re: wAP ac no IP on 5g

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 pm

For that reason its best to disable it unless you absolutely need it (e.g. your network topology is a ring-shaped for failovers).
Yes, I have two core switches that are connected like this to my network
I wonder can I run the wAP ac s with MSTP disabled in this setup?

mbrmik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Thanks a lot for the hints with disable-running-check=yes and installation=any that solves some of the issues I saw. I found I had on the wAP ac
/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=[b]yes [/b]name=BR1 priority=0xF000 protocol-mode=mstp vlan-filtering=yes
ingress filtering enabled, I switched it off, now it seems to work again, with MSTP active.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:56 pm

I think you could disable MSTP on all APs ... and leave MSTP enabled on switches. You only need MSTP on "core" of your network, where loops can happen duue to redundant links. If, OTOH, you'd connect same AP to two of your core switches at the same time, you would have to run MSTP on APs as well ...

mbrmik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm

I will give it a try disabling the MSTP on the access points, the wAP ac anyhow just have one ethernet port. Thank you