Community discussions

MikroTik App

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature Request - Zigbee

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:23 am

I'm wondering if Mikrotik have any plans or interest in developing a wireless access point or module that supports Zigbee, like some of the Aruba access points do.
There's currently very few options on the market, and most of them are expensive, poor quality, or DIY hacks.

mada3k

Re: Feature Request - Zigbee

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:00 pm

Zigbee would indeed be nice since it's an open protocol/standard (in contrast to Z-wave and Apple Homekit)

I currently use a CC2530 USB-stick to control my devices via zigbee2mqtt. Works OK but range is not that great.
CCR/CRS/hEX/wAP • Ansible • NetXMS

kblazewicz
just joined

Re: Feature Request - Zigbee

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Do you mean something like what zigbee2mqtt does? I'd love to see this!

Another option like other commercial gateways (Aqara, Tuya, Ikea etc.) wouldn't add anything to the market but another incompatible system. Every manufacturer has his own line of products with own cloud and nobody wants to have multiple Zigbee gateways at home. Also it sucks if your fine-tuned heating system stops functioning because your ISP has few hours unavailability.

Unfortunately zigbee2mqtt is written in node.js so porting it to RouterOS would be impossible considering limited resources available on most Mikrotik hardware.

I'm afraid that developing and maintaining own solution would be too resource consuming for a company that has plenty of work in backlog like Mikrotik has.