MikroTik App

mfrabbibd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PtMP link on Moving Boat

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi Dear Experts,

I would like to draw your kind attention on my network plan. I need to establish a PTMP bridge with some moving boats at a distance of 6km within 120 Degree Radius in direct line of sight from a on shore 80 feet tower. I’m planning to use ubnt AM-2G15-120 Sector Antenna with BaseBox 2 as a PTMP AP and Metal 52hpn with 6db Omni comes with it as CPE.

I need 10Mbps aggregate speed for each link. Will it be able to achieve such link with these kits? And if not, then what should I use? Does anyone have such experience with the scenario I described?

Thank you very much!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PtMP link on Moving Boat

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Why would you use an omni antenna, aka what do you think the range would be??
As for the ships unless they are in relatively flat water, not past the breaker line, how in the heck would they aim anything.
I would think WIFI for small boats is really practical when moored in marina. Now even here one cannot guarantee orientation or close range to an omni antenna.
Suggesting even small boats use a sector antenna, that they can then oriente (rotate) towards any antennas existing ashore (especially base station sector antennas)........ something like this for both perhaps ashore and on boat......

https://mikrotik.com/product/mantbox_52_15s

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm

My gut feeling is that this will not be stable.. But I would try it, that's the only way to find out..
This would be easy if the clients were stationary , but I totally see why you would need omni's on the boats. Is is a regatta of some sorts?
If sailing boats, ensure that the antennas is high enough. And try.

I also would try 5GHz, as you would have less interference from other things, more channels to choose from.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:56 pm

My gut feeling is that this will not be stable.. But I would try it, that's the only way to find out..
This would be easy if the clients were stationary , but I totally see why you would need omni's on the boats. Is is a regatta of some sorts?
If sailing boats, ensure that the antennas is high enough. And try.

I also would try 5GHz, as you would have less interference from other things, more channels to choose from.
Wifi range over water with an omni antenna, cannot be that good or useful. There is a reason people use proper marine radios or satellite radios!!

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:58 am

Absolutey. But still, omni's is better than a p2p pointing in the wrong direction.. :)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Could you share pictures or GPS Data?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Absolutey. But still, omni's is better than a p2p pointing in the wrong direction.. :)
Not if you are out of range of omni, how fricken far do you think omni wifi extends over water and we are not talking flat lake.
Wifi is not meant for ship to shore communications period.