MikroTik App

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

cAP resets when trying connect to WiFi

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:34 pm

Hello,
I got some cAPs ac and a CCR1009 and doing now some very basics tests.
The CCR1009 sits behind my home router and acts as a bridge the cAP ac is connected to the CCR1009.
www --> home router --> CCR1009 --> cAPs ac

I was able to get CAPsMAN working Connecting all CAPs to the MikroTik CAPsMAN - YouTube but cAP disappeared frequently from CAP INTERFACES in the CAPsMANwhen a setting was not perfect etc., that seems to be solved by updating to RouterOS 6.48.1 on all devices.
Provisioning works well now but I noticed that setting up PROVISIONING is mandatory although the cAP ac interfaces show up in CAP INTERFACES, which makes not that much sense to me, as it worked without and it works in YouTube as well that way.

Anyway, WiFi is shown now but as soon as I connect the device goes kind of soft reset, as WINBOX and CAPsMAN losing the connection to the cAP ac.
In CAPs Datapath Configuration in the CAPsMAN the bridge interface is set in Bridge.
I suspect that is related to the DHCP settings as respective settings are done in some tutorials but differently: My DHCP server runs on my home router, why shall I create an additional DHCP server on the CCR1009?
I tried to make it work with a DHCP Relay on the bridge and CAP interface but none of them worked out.

How do I forward DHCP requests from the cAP ac to the DHCP Server on my home router

thanks a lot
Stefan

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: cAP resets when trying connect to WiFi

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:42 pm

solved it, need to activate Local Forwarding in CAPs Datapath Configuration in the CAPsMAN but no clue why.

I watched Mikrotik CAPsMAN Setup Tutorial - YouTube again again. At 4:13 he mentioned Local Forwarding and Connecting all CAPs to the MikroTik CAPsMAN - YouTube said once there is CAP to CAPsMAN data traffic. So slowly the idea matured in my mind that this may helps me, in particular as this kind of communication is mentioned in Manual:CAPsMAN - MikroTik Wiki mentioned it as well that there are these kinds of modes.
Unfortunately, it does not say why Manager Forwarding Mode requires particular DHCP setting. Can anyone explain?