Community discussions

MikroTik App

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

does CAPsMAN need an DHCP Server on the device its running on?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:46 pm

Hello,
when I set up my CAPs and CAPsMAN I noticed that I have to use Local Forwarding to make it work. If it is not enabled, Clients won't gent an IP and CAPs doing kind of reset.
My DHCP server sits on my home router (still) and all devices are in bridge mode.

Is there any documentation on it or could some explain why it IP assigning is not working without doing anything (whatever it will be) on the DHCP settings?

thx

Stefan

whatever

Re: does CAPsMAN need an DHCP Server on the device its running on?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:53 pm

As long as your datapath bridges your WiFi interfaces to a layer 2 domain with dhcp server it doesn't matter where the dhcp server is running. With local forwarding this bridging has to happen on the CAP, without local forwarding it has to take place on the manager.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: does CAPsMAN need an DHCP Server on the device its running on?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 pm

thx for replying that quickly
As long as your datapath bridges your WiFi interfaces to a layer 2 domain with dhcp server it doesn't matter where the dhcp server is running. With local forwarding this bridging has to happen on the CAP, without local forwarding it has to take place on the manager.
all my devices are set in bridge mode what should en up in the home router, see cAP resets when trying connect to WiFi - MikroTik
If the device itself and the datapath uses the only configured bridge, it should work but it does not, that is driving me nuts