Community discussions

MikroTik App

kimotho
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik & Radio Frequencies

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Hi,

Can mikrotik transmitters on 2.4Ghz or 5.* Ghz affect FM & TV radio transmittions? I plan to host 3 flat panels as my backbone on a radio transmitter high up as 60m to enable me do point-to-point links.

-Kim

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik & Radio Frequencies

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Standard PC power supplies can cause problems with the radio, but I doubt you'd notice anything on the transmitter tower.

Still would probably be best to use shielded outdoor ethernet.

kimotho
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Standard PC power supplies can cause problems with the radio, but I doubt you'd notice anything on the transmitter tower.

Still would probably be best to use shielded outdoor ethernet.
You mean shielded ftp cable or lmr cable? Which would you recommend?

-Kim

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:57 am

Note that problems with interference with other frequencies is usually a function of the Wireless card and not MikroTik. I've had problems with SmartBridge equipment, but so far not with Senao 8602, Wistron CM9 and R52 cards in MT routers.

In my experience 2.4GHz can interfere with both TV & FM Radio, however results are inconstant, some locations have no problem with the 2.4GHz antenna being within a metre of the TV/Radio, other locations you can have >10m separation and still have problems. In the main the problem occurs in situations where the received TV/Radio signal is already poor. The trouble is it's difficult getting customers to accept the problem is their equipment when all they see is everything working OK until you install 2.4GHz wireless and then they get wavy lines on the TV and hiss on the radio!

The site I had most difficulty with had a TV distribution amplifier, my guess is this had poor frequency rejection and was thus amplifying the 2.4GHz noise as well as the TV signal.

GotNet

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:44 am

Hi,

Can mikrotik transmitters on 2.4Ghz or 5.* Ghz affect FM & TV radio transmittions? I plan to host 3 flat panels as my backbone on a radio transmitter high up as 60m to enable me do point-to-point links.

-Kim
No. They will mess with you. Don't get too close to these. If your belt buckle or watch starts to get warm, so will your MT. :)