Community discussions

MikroTik App

ASB
just joined
Topic Author

Short dropouts

Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi

We recently got fiber internet (100 Mbps) installed to our holiday home, which has a couple of associated cabins nearby. I installed Mikrotik SXTsq 5 ac to function as a wireless link between the cabins, and it works fine most of the time. However, we observe the following:
  • Occasionally (e.g. every 5 minutes) the link to site 3 does not transmit data for a short time. This is problematic as there are people in Teams meetings at that site, which drops out temporarily from their meeting.
  • The dropout does not cause the link to disconnect.
  • Transmission to site 2 seems to work fine without dropouts.
There is not a free sight for the signal (a dense tree obscures the signal), but the distance is only 135 m, the signal to noise is ca 40 dB and the link speed achieves 200-300 Mbps steady normally, so I don't think that is the issue. The used frequency of 5640 Ceee is totally empty. Frequency of 5500 MHz gives same result. The site 1 SXTsq ac 5 has a L4 license and runs in AP bridge, while the site 2 and 3 runs as station bridge. All devices run RTOS 6.48.1.

Is there anything I can do to improve the link reliability to site 3? FYI: I'm not especially familiar with networking or Mikrotik devices in particular.

Example of signal dropout (timeout 500 ms):
ping results.png
Network overview:
overview.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Short dropouts

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:38 pm

Maybe it helps to disable "station-roaming" on client APs on site 2 and 3
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151290#p848270

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Short dropouts

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:12 am

Also: what is in log on AP? Anything about wireless problems? What are normal values for wireless signal between AP and problematic station? Execute /interface wireless registration-table print stats and make note of rx-rate, tx-rate, signal-to-noise and all signal-strength values. Make sure there's some traffic flowing while observing those values, if link is idle values are not representative.