Community discussions

MikroTik App

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

LtAP LTE 6 kit + R11e-LTE6 + External Antenna

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:06 pm

Have the following, "LtAP LTE 6 kit + R11e-LTE6 + External Antenna" but have a couple of questions if someone does not mind to assist.

1. As per attached pic, the "tabs" that can be broken off to provide place for cables/connectors/etc, the ones on inside (white plastic) does not align with the outside (black plastic) cover. The SMA-SMA cable is very stiff, so cant make sharp bends as I am sure it will damage the cable. Do I need to drill holes in the black cover for the SMA-u.fl connectors? Alternatively I would assume it needs to be operated without the black cover?
2. The plan is to use both modems, built in modem to use internal antenna and 2nd R11e-LTE6 modem installed with external antenna, concerns here are:
2.1 The u.fl to SMA cables are extremely thin, so with the idea of using both modems/radios, and these cables crossing inside the router, will this cause interference between the 2 modems/radios?
2.2 Sometimes if the signal is good enough for internal antenna only, and I disconnect the external antenna connected to the 2nd modem/radio, will it "fry" the 2nd radio/modem once router is powered up? If so, will it be sufficient to just disable the 2nd LTE interface in router OS?

Any other advice / "tips" will be appreciated
LtAP-LTE6.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LtAP LTE 6 kit + R11e-LTE6 + External Antenna  [SOLVED]

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm

1. The SMA-SMA cable is very stiff, so cant make sharp bends as I am sure it will damage the cable. Do I need to drill holes in the black cover for the SMA-u.fl connectors? Alternatively I would assume it needs to be operated without the black cover?
Or, alternatively, drill holes for the SMA-SMA cable (large enough so that SMA connectors can pass as well) and leave SMA-u.fl connectors mounted on the inner housing. This would help not to break housing at connector if SMA-SMA cable is bent, distance between inner and outer housing helps.

2.1 The u.fl to SMA cables are extremely thin, so with the idea of using both modems/radios, and these cables crossing inside the router, will this cause interference between the 2 modems/radios?
Even the tiny cables are coaxial, so in theory the signals should not interfere due to cables crossing. In practice coaxial cables (even the thick professional ones) bleed signal to a certain extent (but not enough to interfere massively). The big time interference can come from one transmitter entering the other receiver. If both modems are going to be used in FDD LTE, then this kind of interference is not very likely. If both modems are going to be used with TDD LTE, then you could get some substantial interference if both networks are using same frequency band but different sub-bands (i.e. similar to having two independent WiFi radios operating in 5GHz band ... the reason for radios in Audience to have distinct sub-band range).

2.2 Sometimes if the signal is good enough for internal antenna only, and I disconnect the external antenna connected to the 2nd modem/radio, will it "fry" the 2nd radio/modem once router is powered up? If so, will it be sufficient to just disable the 2nd LTE interface in router OS?
In theory LTE device only transmits when it is using a network (or is trying to register). I don't know how much disabled is LTE device which is disabled from ROS. But if disabled means it won't try to register to mobile network, then it should be fine.
Just to be sure modem doesn't emit smoke, you could connect a pair of 50Ω terminators ... operating modem with terminators attached (instead of antennae) for some time could fry them though (and modem soon after) since terminators are usually not made to dissipate much energy. To make sure it doesn't happen you could use a pair of attenuators with adequate power rating in series with terminators.
I guess both are not easy to find in SMA form factor.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: LtAP LTE 6 kit + R11e-LTE6 + External Antenna

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:39 am

Thank you @mkx, appreciate your response/feedback
Just to be sure modem doesn't emit smoke...

I did run the "no-smoke.bat" file, so all should be ok :-) (Giving my age away here again)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 pm

I did run the "no-smoke.bat" file, so all should be ok :-)
8.3 rocks ;-)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm

I just add some little of idea:

Watch LTE parameters: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155945&p=821262#p821047
LED SIGNAL per RSRP viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151036&p=747637#p747637
Simple watchdog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153622&hilit=watchdog#p767767
Advance watchdog: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151492&hilit=watchdog#p768392
How to run Script base on new SMS and give feedback viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31738&p=831694#p831694

Maybe they add you some help, good way is use a SMS to run script who rescue internet or do reboot :).