Community discussions

MikroTik App

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

extended WiFi to LAN, router --> cAP ac --> LAN clients: works but don't understand 100% why

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi there,
I'm really desperate now, Wifi to LAN driving me nuts. I made it work but still clueless why I have to do it that way.

I'm coming from an hEX S configuration wherein all interfaces are on a bridge, which in turn is connected to a CCR1009. The is DHCP Client configured on this bridge.
The CCR1009 is connected to my home router as the new fibre optic cables are not pulled yet.
I used the CAPsMAN to configure a cAP ac, which is connected to the PoE port of the hEX S.
That works well when Local Forwarding in CAPs Datapath Configuration in the CAPsMAN is activated (see #1 and #2).
Right now, the CCR1009 is installed in the basement, in its new rack, so the hEX S is connected to my home router with exactly the same settings and the internet is still reachable through the hEX S.

Based on this experience I thought, I do the same on another cAP ac to connect its LAN port the CCR1009 and using its wireless interfaces to connect it to a Guest WiFi close to the new IT room, which origins in another flat as my flat is too far away from the new IT room.
This way, I could the primary configuration in real-life condition until the fibre optic cable is pulled.
Means, doing:
  1. add all interfaces to a bridge
  2. Wirleless / Wireless Tables --> Security Profile: add a profile that contains SSID and Password of the WiFi it shall connect to
  3. Interfaces / Interface List --> selecting wlan2 (5 GhZ) --> click Scan (opens Scanner) --> Start --> select WiFi --> click on Connect ---> select the tab Wireless --> select previous created Security Profile
  4. IP --> DCHP Client --> bridge
  5. Interfaces / Interface List --> Detect Internet --> select all interfaces
  6. DONE
but you'd think ... I never got an IP when I connected to the cAP ac via wire but itself got an IP.
Based on my previous experience, I assumed that it would do everything by itself, since it now knows where the route to the www and to the DHCP server is, thus forwarding all requests coming from any port to that destination.
This seems to be the case, can anyone explain why???

I read through:
  1. Repeater Setup - MikroTik
  2. cap ac as wifi repeater + ethernet2 - MikroTik
  3. Setup Mikrotik as a Wi-Fi repeater – IT Blog (ixnfo.com)
  4. MikroTik Router als Repeater | Technology4You (wordpress.com)
but all without help.
Eventuelly I found Erstinbetriebnahme eines Mikrotik-Routers [Teil2\] – Konfiguration des Routers – DHCP-Client nach extern | Mikrotik-Blog.de (mikrotik-blog.de), what told me what to do.
Reducing the bridge to the interfaces which are not connected to the WiFi and put a NAT between the interface for the WiFi and bridge does the job but why has it to be that way?

any input is highly appreciated
thx
stefan

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: extended WiFi to LAN, router --> cAP ac --> LAN clients: works but don't understand 100% why

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 pm

Can we assume the CCR1009 will be hooked to the capacs wired?
Can we assume you will use the hex as a back-up router or switch?

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: extended WiFi to LAN, router --> cAP ac --> LAN clients: works but don't understand 100% why

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:25 pm

will provide a sketch tomorrow; I'm heading to bed now :)

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 pm

is that image alright?

Would be nice if the CCR1009 acts as a router, things don't need to be reconfigured when switching to 3.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 am

Replace the switches.

Mikrotik wireless maybe egregiously outdated... But the recent switch issues have garnered a "will not bid" for us.

But the one router can do several networks with access control and the like, with ease.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Replace the switches.
they are brand new, properly not to justify to buy new ones.
Why should I do it?
Mikrotik wireless maybe egregiously outdated...
it is: WIFI 6 Roadmap - MikroTik

Anyway, that does not answer the questions raised here. Any input in this regard?
Would make me very happy :).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:50 pm

The switches should work fine, if they are not, its some firmware issue that should be resolved and finally you always have two options for configuring, swos or RoS.
Gotsprings you "got" to be more clear on what the current issues are with the switch and why you think they cannot be resolved.
Its not easy to replace switches (not everyone has a bottomless budget ;-P )
Concur on the wifi though, The only thing MT is promising is improving wifi5 to what everybody else has had for years and that promise is not for any existing models except hapac4 and chateau I think.
My advice is if you want wifi5 tplink eap245 is solid, and if interested in wifi6, try one of the eap620 or 660 models (as I intend to do when available and on sale LOL).

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm

My advice is if you want wifi5 tplink eap245 is solid, and if interested in wifi6, try one of the eap620 or 660 models (as I intend to do when available and on sale LOL).
The WiFi standard is secondary at the moment, there won't be that many clients pushing the devices to their limits.

I only want to understand why things have to be configured as they are but things can be done simpler on other devices but doing pretty much the same thing.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Because the issues with Mikrotik switches are well documented here, for just about a year.

I have one of the switches that shut down a group every few days.
viewtopic.php?t=160561

Mikrotik os my favorite routing platform...

But the wireless is S--t, and the switches are a joke.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:16 pm

The reason you have configure it the way you have has to do with a limitation of the wireless standards. More specifically it has to do with the way MAC addresses are passed from the client to the connected network. In a normal connection, only the MAC of the connected device is seen by the network. This is how the mode=station behaves on your cAP ac connected to the guest network. Even if you bridge that interface on your network, your network device will have their MAC translated to the MAC of the wlan on cAP ac. As one result, the DHCP server of the guest network will see many request from the same MAC, and once the first request is given an IP, all others from that MAC will be ignored.

I suppose the standards when established, were only intended to have a single device per wireless connection. WDS (Wireless Distribution System) was intended to be a way to overcome this limitation, but each vendor implemented WDS (station-wds) in such way that compatibility between vendors is hit or miss or do not even offer it. Most vendors have also rolled their own way of handling this limitation (station-bridge), that is only compatibility with their devices.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:25 pm

As one result, the DHCP server of the guest network will see many request from the same MAC, and once the first request is given an IP, all others from that MAC will be ignored.
In a nutshell, you have to handle the clients to the cAP ac (by DHCP Server) and route the request from the clients through the bridge to the connected Wifi Interface to allow that each request is served., isn't it?