Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

'ay 60Ghz PtMP / terragraph, it's time. like really.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi all. Here's what I'm up against. Mikrotik is part of Terragraph but there is no product. They are getting beet to market by other vendors. Cambium is the frontrunning IMO.

Its like REALLY time to get some news from Mikrotik on this. It's spring, it's time to build, I'm very interested in the Mikrotik product but if we don't get some news really soon, I'm going Cambium.

Mikrotik, can you guys please drop some hints here! Terragraph is effectively vendor specific so there will be instant lockin.

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 'ay 60Ghz PtMP / terragraph, it's time. like really.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm

I also wait, but don't ask MT for it, they talk little, do a lot and never ionize the news before. Mikrotik was the first with a 60Ghz ad. If ay is delayed, there are obviously some reasons for this (the company's workload capacity, work to make the product cheaper or software delays). Everyone in the forum complains, it's tiring. But no one even thinks how difficult it is to overcome to make the product cheaper for us (even the situation in the Republic of Myanmar can affect the price and also because of it, only one bank still agrees to serve MIkrotik). I like that MT stays true to itself and we benefit from it, even if you use another company's products (market competition).
I think Mikrotik are geniuses!

marekm

Re: 'ay 60Ghz PtMP / terragraph, it's time. like really.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:26 pm

Is this "terragraph" stuff still being worked on, or has it been abandoned?
At the very least, increasing the number of clients per AP (802.11ay was supposed to raise that limit from 8 to 15, and have some form of TDMA to avoid hidden node issues) would be helpful.
Other vendors devices are already on the market, but not interoperable in the air - still the old vendor lock-in game that the new standards had a chance to avoid (I wish I could freely mix AD/AY devices from different vendors, and just change the AP and have existing MT stations on customer roofs talk to it - too many to replace at reasonable cost).