Community discussions

MikroTik App

ELVIS
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Setup @Home

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Everyone, Apologies if completely newbie questions asked. Basic network understanding, however lack the finesse :)

Would just like some assistance on my home network setup, without exploding the cost element. Yes i do understand you pay for what you get.
Currently my situation is this. Currently use ISP Axxess, which is setup on an Openserve FIbre Line of 200/100Mbps Uncapped, Unthrottled, Unshaped, No Thresholds ( Apparently lol)
I Have the Nokia ONT box setup in office, with a Netis DL4323U Router next to it. I then run Cat5 cables to 3 bedrooms, to seperate WAP.
1) One is a D-Link DAP-1360 connected to a DES-1005A10/100 Ethernet switch( i use switch to run seperate cable to TV and to WAP)
2) Other room has a DLink DWL-2100AP.
3) Then last bedroom has a TP-Link WA701ND connected to a DLink Switch DGS-1005D.

Ok so after all that, my internet is terrible lol. Very erratic. We have a lot of walls blocking each bedroom, hence why i had to put an WAP in each bedroom we mainly use. Then the challenge is when we all in one bedroom we sit and argue over who is hogging the bandwidth LOL, and on top of it the amount of devices connected becomes a problem.

I would like some advice on how to better our current situation without outlaying large funds. A mate advised me of how he feels the MikroTik brand is by far the best and should start looking at changing one of the WAP to see if i notice any change.

Right now I am on my laptop next to the router, not connected direct but through WiFi and ran a speedtest and currently sitting at Ping 4ms, Jitter 2ms, Download 62Mbps and Upload 54.1Mbps.

Obviously the biggest concern is the outdated WAP in my opinion, what would be suggested solution to current situation. Thanks in Advance for your help.

ELVIS
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless Setup @Home

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 am

Any Advice ?

Phillip
just joined

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:09 pm

What is the size of each floor and are the walls made of brick or drywall? Will your buddy help you setup the network?

ELVIS
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:47 pm

What is the size of each floor and are the walls made of brick or drywall? Will your buddy help you setup the network?
Hey Philip, walls out of brickwork. 2 floors in L Shape. Each floor roughly same being approx 300 square meters. I have attached a pic for reference of the second floor. The ground floors bedroom setup is directly below bedroom 1 setup on 2nd floor.

Unfortunately my buddy a bit busy to be able to assist. :(

My main concern is whether i am having issues because using old routers and modems and switches etc. and whether doing this change will see a vast improvement. The difficulty is in my family we have over 5 people using phones, ipads, laptops etc, all jossling for bandwidth, and then because moving to each room etc, it jumps to the next available network, which takes time in allocating an IP address etc. Its just a mess and nightmare
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phillip
just joined

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:04 pm

Ok, so all of the inside walls are brickwork, which will make 5Ghz a bit of a challenge. Which box is your networks router, is it the Nokia ONT or the Netis DL4323U?
Also, how is everything connected?
Nokia ONT to Netis DL4323U
Netis DL4323U to DES-1005A10/100 to D-Link DAP-1360
Netis DL4323U to DLink DWL-2100AP
Netis DL4323U to DLink Switch DGS-1005D to TP-Link WA701ND

One thing I would do, is get a free WiFi analyzer program and see what your signal levels are from various spots in your house. If you have too many AP's, they will fight over channel space and make your connections unreliable.

ELVIS
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 pm

The Nokia ONT Box receives fibre cable, then a short cat5 cable to The Netis DL4323U9The Main Router. From the router it goes to two network switches with CAT5 cable (DES-1005A10/100 & DGS-1005D) from the switches short CAT5 connected each go to an AP (D-Link DAP-1360 & TP-Link WA701ND) and then a sole AP downstairs connected directly to DLink DWL-2100AP.

Will try the WIFI Analyser. What I don't understand is still not getting paid for speeds when i am standing next to the main router with Wifi connection. My worry again is the hardware being inadequate and you pay for what you get?. Would it not be better to just get one expensive router that we can connect with wifi anywhere in the house and even outside and get the required speeds, then do away wit all these AP that could be conflicting with each other. Thanks for the assistance so far Phillip.

Phillip
just joined

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am

Well researching your network gear and knowing your setup now, your biggest choke point is your Netis DL4323U9 router and the 100Mb switches are the second, with the AP's being the third. With a connection of 200Mb down/100Mb up, 100Mb Ethernet will bottle neck your 200Mb speed, so you will need to go 1Gb on the trunk of the network.

The DL4323U9 LAN ports are only 100Mb (4* 10/100Mbps Auto MDI/MDIX RJ45 LAN Port) and the it looks from the reviews I have seen, the firewall throughput is good only to 50Mb or so. I would replace this with a Hex Router or a Hap ac with 1Gb ports. I would also look at getting 1Gb switches to replace the 100Mb ones you have, but this is if you plain on keeping the same topology.

An app like Acrylic Wi-Fi will let you see if you can see all of your AP's through the house before you buy faster ones. You might find that you only need two AP's at each end of your house to cover it, which will lower the cost of the network upgrade.

If you wanted to stay with the same network topology that you have now, I would replace the Netis DL4323U9 and all of the switches and AP's with 3 Hap AC's. One would be the router/AP/Switch, the other two would be AP's/switches. If it turns out that you can get buy with two AP's, I would do a Hex router and one RB260GS switch with the ONT and two WAP ac or CAP ac AP's. Then in the rooms that need switches, I would put a RB260GS switch in them and connect them back to the switch that is with the Hex router and ONT.

ELVIS
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks so much for that breakdown, when you talk about topology, sorry thats going over my head. Are you meaning the infrastructure cabling wise. As all cable is Cat5 cable. SO would i need to replace existing Cat5 cable and upgrade to Cat5e or Cat6 as well if i am to upgrade the router and switches?

Phillip
just joined

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm

I was talking about how your network gear is connected to each other. As for cable, if you have cat5 now and it is under 50m in length, it should be fine for you to use, but upgrading it would not hurt.