Community discussions

MikroTik App

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Audience mesh - Setting up

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm

To my existing Audience, which I’ve been using ok with all 3 wlan networks, I’ve decided to add another Audience (A2) that I plan to connect to the 1st one (A1) via Ethernet - I’m connecting it via Ethernet instead on the dedicated wlan3 because the area that I need it covered by A2 has some weird interference (most probably due to the apartment that is adjacent to ours) and only the 2.4ghz wlan has a decent signal.

I proceeded to setup A1 so that CAPSMAN would handle all 3 wlans and.. problem. I must be doing something wrong since wlan3 is up and running but has the wrong SSID (of the wlan2).

Not sure if it is a configuration problem or Audience simply doesn’t allow wlan3 to be part of CAPSMAN as a normal wlan (this would mean I have to return it).

I’m a noob in networking so config in Terminal is a bit hard - I started from a reset configuration of RouterOS and made the modifications via Winbox. The paradox is in the attached photo - what do I do wrong? What info more would help you for an advice?

Thanks
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Audience mesh - Setting up

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 pm

I am using Audience as a CAP to my hap AC2 router.

Aside from the radio performance... this works. Not nearly as well as about a dozen other wireless vendors... but it works.

Have not tried using the radio uplinking.

The one Audience I have is set up with all interfaces in bridge. So I have 3 radios broadcasting my SSIDs and 2 ethernet ports.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Audience mesh - Setting up

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 pm

I've managed to solve the issue and get them working; I had to set up manually all 3 interfaces (my nightmare..) so that Capsman would manage them correctly, because the initial configuration when resetting Audience was causing the SSID issue. I did my best in configuring them but.. i'm not happy with the wireless result:
- as a single unit, I had managed to configure the Audience to reach ~300 Mbps download on wlan2 and ~400 Mbps on wlan3 (from my maximum 500 Mbps download speed). When paired with the other Audience, speeds are limited at about 250-270 Mbps at best.
- setting the access list proved a time-consuming fine tuning with the transmission power (I still have devices that connect to the farthest Audience, although I lowered its tx power and I've increased the closer one's tx power);

Clearly there are things that could be improved in my config but since I lack the necessary knowledge.. I've retired this setup; I really needed the speeds that a crappy TP-Link mesh offers right now :(